Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, January 1, 2018

The "It's 2018!", edition.

Good Tuesday morning!  It's sad that I've lost track of days. The holidays did that to me. Ah. But we had a great time!  Shawn arrived a few days before Christmas. She left Monday morning. Had to be back to work today.  Boo. 

Let's start with a recap. I started dialysis in November 2012. Moved to Las Vegas in July 2014. Started training for home hemodialysis January 2, 2015. Transition to nocturnal home hemodialysis March 2017. Started the blog in February 2013. There have been 548 published posts. There are 17 posts I never published...lots of reasons...to painful, lost interest, or even the I was rambling and babbling reason. Over 41,000 page views. The average number of page views has increased since I started. The most read post is a post I wrote about the death of Denise Matthews (Vanity of Vanity 6) on February 16, 2016 with over 300 hits. The next closet post is near 150 hits. I'm surprised that this post keeps getting hits. People find the post by doing an internet search on Denise Matthews or Vanity. 

I get hits from other countries. The top five ( not including the US ) are France, Russia, Germany, Ukraine and Brazil. Germany I get. I have a cousin who lives there. But Russia and Ukraine?  Yeah. Ok. I also get hits from the UK, Ireland, Australia and India. I know that dialysis patients for those countries are members of various dialysis groups I belong to. As a matter of fact, when one of the groups met here last fall, I met a lady from Ireland. Some people have searched for Moscato, Ron Isley and Amtrak and have been led to the blog. Lol. A lot of stats. Only got 2 followers, though. I'm good. 

So what have I learned from writing a blog? First of all I have a rolling record of my life since I started dialysis. And since I use a Facebook to link to it, I get the old links in memories. And I read them. I read stuff I forgot about!  That's not a bad thing. It's interesting reading about things I did, events in my life, recipes, or my state of mind. I'd recommend keeping journal. I know I've forgotten more than I realized. 

Ok moving on. We had a small quiet Christmas. The gift giving was kept at a minimum and that was fine. We enjoyed the company of each other. And enjoyed the hell out of the puppy. Lol. Shawn and Glen got along wonderfully. Glen needed someone who would get on the floor and roll around with him. Clearly Brian and I don't get in the floor on a regular basis!  And as much as Dad would like to get on the floor, he's pretty sure getting up would be a problem. Lol. 

Plans for the year?  Well Brian got me a Fitbit so I'm tracking my movement (and my sleep?!?). My trainer has increased the intensity of my workout and increased the weight of the club and ball and weights. I bitch and moan and then I do the exercises. Lol. In deep water fitness, I'll move to the heavier floaty barbells and will use the floatation device less. And with both I'll be tired and hurting, but I'll get stronger. 

My over health is fairly good, considering I have no kidneys. I probably take a minimum amount of pills  that most dialysis patients take. My blood pressure is chronically low. Lol. My BP this morning after last night's treatment was 65/46. That's low even for me. So yeah, I have pills to raise my blood pressure. I was on hypertensive meds before I started home hemodialysis. Within 2 weeks of home hemo, I had to discontinue the pills. Lol. One med was discontinued last year because I started reacting badly. The new remedy is a series of injections which is working. I take vitamin D daily and get iron injections every 2 months. I take a med to control my calcium and a med to control my phosphourus.  Kidneys control a whole lot and not having them creates a specific dance with meds and nutrition. Get those kidneys checked! 

Well. That's it for today. Oh future plans?  We're trying to figure out the logistics to taking the pacific coast train ride from LA to Seatlle with my dialysis paraphernalia. We'll figure it out!  If you're in one of those cold weather zones stay warm!  And happy new year!!!

Sitting on Dad's lap. 


Sleepin on my legs.  I'm stuck now! 


My Fitbit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment