Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, January 9, 2015

The "It's Day 5 of Home Hemodialysis Training!" edition.

iPad shuffled to  Sir Mixalot, "Baby Got Back". Day 5 of training.  We're going to school. We were surprised that on day 2 we got got the baptism by fire. Lol. But we're getting the routines and processes. The best way to get it is by repetition, with our nurse looking over our shoulder!!  So now I'm dialyzing every day or rather 5 days a week. My time is down to 2.5 hours 5 days a week vs 3.5 hours 3 times a week.  And it's video time....see Ya in a few...OK Back. It's been several hours. 

It's difficult to write the blog while dialyzing because we are in constant training mode. Yes, training, even though I am  hooked up to the machine. Lots and lots of repetition. This is the best way to learn. It seems so intensive, but watching the nurse hook up the machine so quickly,  I'll know we'll get it. And everything has to be in order. And again, so much tubing!!!  We fly through the rubber gloves. It's all about protecting me from infection. And believe it or not, I'm less susceptible from infection  in the home environment than in the clinic. 

Even through the first week, we've increased our set up and breakdown  time. And we are slowly but surely remembering sequences. We're getting there!  I'm thinking that I won't be publishing the blog as often while I'm training. We'll see how it goes. 

Finally, home hemodialysis is probably the best possible treat except for a transplant (see diagram). I've dialyzed 5 days this week and have more energy at the end of treatment. By doing it every day, I'm not having so much fluid and toxins pulled of in a short amount of time. Also, the total time is, as I don't have to travel back and forth to the center.  The first is ok. I'm sure it'll get more intense soon!

Have a good weekend. We're heading to Laughlin for a chili cook off tomorrow. And Laughlin is in warmer than Las Vegas. Looking at 73 degrees. Loving It!!  Have a great weekend. Perhaps you should fix some chili. Kinda cold back home!!!

Diagram compliments of Dori Schatell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment