Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, January 5, 2015

The "Home Dialysis Training - Day One", edition.

iPad shuffled to The Isleys, "For The Love of You". Well, today was day one of home hemodialysis training.  My routine changes dramatically during this time. We normally wake up at 4:00 AM on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Every week, every month. Except if I travel. I'm in the dialysis chair by 5:00 AM. I usually leave the dialysis clinc around 8:50 AM. This includes getting of the machine and waiting for the bleeding to subside. Well today and for the next 3-4 weeks I start at 9:00 AM. We left about 1:00 PM. 

Tavares, "Check it Out".  Well, we still woke up,early. Lol. 4:45 AM for me and Brian around 15 minutes later. Brian was disappointed. He was prepared to sleep in and it didn't happen. The home hemo training clinic is a significant distance from where we live and its in an area we don't frequent often.  But we have been that way. I mapped it and we left 45 minutes before the appointment time. Good thing we did. I wrote the directions wrong. ;-/  We didn't get lost, but we over shot the street. At least I remembered the street name and fortunately Las Vegas is basically a giant grid..with a few exceptions.  We arrived at the clinic about 7 minutes early. 

The Originals, "Baby, I'm For Real". My nurse came out exactly and 9:00 and ushered me and my caregiver (Brian) to the training area. It's like a little hospital. A nurses station and four patient rooms. Except the rooms have dialysis chairs instead of beds. I weighed in, because that's what we do to see how much fluid (weight) we gained since the last treatment. I gained 2 kgs. Which is pretty good since my last treatment was Friday. Whoo hoo!!  We were lead to room 11. My very own personal dialysis room for the next 3-4 weeks. 

Guns N' Roses, "Welcome to the Jungle". The home hemodialysis machine was set up. Yes it's smaller than the incenter machine. The nurse attached tubes and the dialyzer and explained some things. I think the primary highlight was the number of documents I signed. For the most part the treatment was uneventful. For me anyway. Except the extreme cold. I digress. Brian, on the other hand had to jump right on in!  And no, we haven't got to the part where we start sticking me. What he did have to learn and do was take my blood pressure when the dialysis machine beeped, every half hour. That entailed pushing a button, then recording my blood pressure and heartbeat.  He then had to record numbers that were on the dialysis machine. At the end of treatment he had to record the summary of the run, which he could pull up from the machine. He also had to ask me the standard questions....do you have a headache? Are you cramping? Can you stand?  And a few other questions.  He also had to document my weight after dialysis and record it on the sheet for the next session. Keeping track of weight gain and to determine how much fluid to pull off for the next session. 

The System, "Don't Disturb This Groove". And that's pretty much it for day one.  I was able to leave my throw and my dialysis hat and gloves at the clinic because I have MY room! Lol. We also have a big ass manual we have to read and have homework !  We're smart. We got this. Lol

Isaac Hayes, "Joy". Well that all dialysis wasn't it?  Shawn is still here. Her friend went back to New York Saturday. Shawn has a side trip to an archeology conference in Seattle. She leaves on Wednesday and returns to Las Vegas on Saturday. Yeah, she'll eventually head back to Illinois. Classes start the 3rd week of January. What's the deal with this long break?  Lol. Not that I'm complaining. I'm loving having my baby out here with me. <3

Signing off Aerosmith, "Dream On". The Consumer Electronic Show starts this week out here. Over 160,000 people expected. And we live, oh, about 1/2 mile from the main convention center. Yeah, the convention is spread out over three locations. Anyway, we are close enough that people will start parking around the condo. It will difficult getting out the area...except we do have a secret entrance/exit!  And the cold freeze is over!. 62 degrees, baby!!!  Have a great day and stay warm!!!  




No comments:

Post a Comment