Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The "Getting Better. Slowly.", edition.

Good Wednesday morning. It was cloudy when I woke up, but just like that, the sun is high and a few clouds in for good measure. No real news on the health front. My labs are skewed because I'm not eating. Lol. Can't keep any secrets if they take blood from me twice a month. My hemoglobin hasn't risen, so the epogen has been increased.  And for years of trying to keep my potassium and phosphorus number low, they both are now too low. I'm now taking a potassium supplement. And the nutritionist hinted that I may need a protein supplement. I'm appalled. I need to start eating again. Go figure. And am now being encouraged to eat foods that were previously "forbidden". The good news is I'm eating a bit better.  What stays is pretty much hit and miss. 

Dads church had their yearly lobster fest on Saturday. Dad got 3 lobsters and 2 quarts of clam chowder.  I went with him and Brian to the church, but stayed in the car. I was still weak and tired but I wanted to get out of the house. In the end I didn't want to eat anything that day. And I was also out of sorts on Sunday and had to pass on our weekly Sunday brunch. And if I pass on brunch you know I'm not feeling well. I told Brian we needed to eat the lobster so he found a recipe for lobster rolls and we had that for dinner Monday. And the lobster rolls were delicious. Yummm.  And 1/2 hour later I was miserable. It just didn't agree with me. But then after wards I felt better. Had treatment and called it a night. 

Felt better yesterday. I planned to make broccoli with garlic and lemon. Brian bought fresh broccoli so we needed to take of that. I actually got in the kitchen and  cooked the broccoli yesterday. Yes, Brian was my sous chef. He minced the garlic, zested and juiced the lemon and cut up the broccoli. But I prepared it!  And it was good!  Oh yeah. I used a steamer. We purchased the steamer a week ago. Where has this been all of my life???  Why didn't you tell me about steamers?!?!!??  I steamed the broccoli, heated  up olive oil in a small skillet, sautéed the garlic for 5 minutes, added the juice of one lemon. When the broccoli was finished, I transferred it to a bowl, tossed it with the garlic lemon mixture and added the lemon zest, salt and pepper. It. Was. Delicious!  Of course by the time Brian heated up the spaghetti I wasn't hungry, but I did eat a bit of the broccoli. 

Today I get blood drawn for my primary care physician. And maybe try some breakfast at Mary's. I like her grits!  That's it for today. I'm s l o w l y getting better. And I'm really pissed that I'm not feeling well. And yes, the broccoli is a test drive for thanksgiving dinner. :-)  We have a winner. 

That's it for today. Brain and I have fond thoughts of fall in Michigan, but we're good out here. Real good!  Have a wonderful Wednesday!  


2 comments:

  1. I know how frustrating it is to not have an appetite or not be able to each much food. Since November of last year, I've had periods when I simply don't want to eat. Other times, Polly will make an awesome meal, I'll take a few bites, and then I can't eat any more. Good news? I've lost weight. Bad news? None of my doctors can figure out what's up. I guess they'll know what up when it kills me. 😀

    I love to eat, love good food, love to eat my wife's cooking. I know it discourages Polly when she spends a lot of time making a meal and I can't eat it. She understands, but I do feel bad that I can't eat the fruit of her labor.

    Hang in there, my friend.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete