Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, August 8, 2016

The "Dad, Brian and Me", edition.

Good Monday morning!  I haven't written because...I guess I've been lazy. And we've been in life's routine. And that's not a bad thing!  My cousin from Ohio was in town for the Omega Psi Phi convention. He's a board member. He was supposed to be in town earlier for special board meetings. However he got caught up with Southwest Airline issues. So he arrived a day and a half late. He wasn't pleased. Anyway. Afterwards he stayed a few days with us. We all enjoyed his visit. When I was a kid we used to visit his family in Cleveland. As a matter of fact, so many families would visit their home in Cleveland it would be like a family reunion. People sleeping in every.single.room. Great times!  And yeah. My cousin and his brother are older than me and would tease me. They called me Rapunzel. Which eventually got shortened to Rap. Lol. Anyway. Dad, Brian and I enjoyed the visit. And oh yeah. Dad took this as an opportunity to take us all to Fogo de Chao. Again. And. We've been there enough now that the server remembers us. :-(  Lol. 

Our workouts are getting better. Getting  better means that The trainer is adding more reps and harder stuff. She has Brian training for TRX level one. He has a circuit has to complete in a certain amount of time. TRX is suspension training. I'm not anywhere near that, but I've started using the TRX equipment. There are 4 trainers at the gym and at any given time they are also working with clients. We are all at different levels. Some of the workouts are impressive to see. And you know what?  I still have to force myself to go and I whine during most of the workout. (I am whining less). But I feel damn good afterwards and am glad I went! 

And the trainer is working with us on nutrition. My dietary needs are different because of the kidney disease. She wants us to eat whole grains. Whole grains are not recommended for me. I don't like whole wheat spaghetti or brown rice anyway. But we're making adjustments. I know she'd rather we eat out less. And we've cut it down. She's also been in touch with my dietician. So all is well. We are looking and feeling healthier. And yes, we're still doing deep water fitness. 

Every Sunday Dad, Brian and I go out to Sunday brunch. We alternate who selects the location..and who pays.  :-)  It started with a rotation of buffets, but that got old. Now we hit restaurants and end up trying new things. My dad was an old school  meat and potatoes guy while I was growing up. He didn't eat barbeque ribs. He didn't eat rice. He didn't eat fresh pork chops. Yada yada yada. And Mom catered to him. When Brian and I moved out here, our meals were more ... varied. And guess who ended up liking the food?  And if we brought food home, guess who'd rummage through the carry out boxes. And then ask about the food and comment that he liked it?  lol. So guess who is adventurous in his eating now?  My 90 year old dad!  Lol. 

We went to Lolo's, a chicken and waffle restaurant. The combination was foreign to him, but he tried it. As an aside, I asked him what he wanted. He said 2 pieces of chicken and and 2 waffles. I told him he wanted one waffle. He was adamant that he wanted 2 waffles. I told home him he was thinking of pancakes. But I think he just wasn't listening. There was no option on the menu for 2 pieces of chicken and 2 waffles. Brian said there was a 3 chicken 2 waffle option. Dad said that was fine. So the food comes. And he realizes.  He was thinking of pancakes. <smack head>. Lol. 

This past Sunday was Dad's turn to select. We'd taken him to the Mexican seafood restaurant before. He decided he wanted to go this week. Before we go to the restaurants he looks up the menu on the web. He discusses his choices with me...and I have to remember what he wants when it's time to order. Lol. He pretty much knows what he wants before we get there. This time he pulled up a photo of a molcajete. Yes I had to look it up. He declared he wanted "that". It has shrimp, chicken and steak - his favorite foods. Lol. I was impressed that he wanted this strange looking dish. He's come a long way!  I'm pretty proud of him. He's a cool dad. <3. 

What I didn't mention was as we left the restaurant and were walking to the car, he tripped and fell. He scraped his hand and hit his head...not hard, but now he has a black eye. :-(    He's doing fine, but we're keeping an eye on him. He likes the attention.  

On the dialysis front, my tests have started. I have a cardiology test to schedule. And the dreaded colonoscopy is this Thursday. { cry }. Although. I've managed to put if off for 4 years. It's time. I picked up the wretched drink Saturday. The pharmacist asked if I had any questions. I asked if it could be less miserable. She laughed and sadly said no.  Lol. 

That's it for today. Watching the Olympics. I didn't think I'd watch it, but I got pulled in by the women's bike race and here I am. And oh yeah. Brian had me watching fencing Sunday morning.  Lol. And we're asking each other how is it scored?  And I mentioned that for a brief moment in the 10th grade we had a fencing class.  En garde!  Have a great day!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment