Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, July 29, 2016

The "A Couple of Things of Interest" edition.

Good Friday morning!  I swear I started writing an entry earlier today, but I guess I didn't save it. Which is fine as I didn't like where it was going. I do that sometimes. I have 11 unpublished entries because I wasn't satisfied with the content. That's life. Today I went to have 4 medical tests. 3 just because my HMO thinks I need them on a yearly basis. A mammogram, which wasn't so bad   And I have no modesty anyway.   An ultrasound to look at my non working kidneys. I'm pretty sure they're still shriveled up but whatever.  And ultrasound on my lower legs and feet to check my circulation. That's because a large percentage of dialysis patients are also diabetic....no I'm not.  But I have to get checked anyway. So I had an ultrasound on my lower legs and feet. That was a new one!  And finally an ultrasound to check on my liver. My nephrologist is concerned with some of my blood test numbers so that was checked out. That will go along with my upcoming colonoscopy. :-[  Yeah so. I haven't had a colonoscopy in almost 4 years. It's time. I've been able to get out of it this long so I shouldn't complain.  So yeah. When was your last colonoscopy?  24 hours of misery instead a lifetime of slow death. It's worth it. 

I'll also see a cardiologist and test to see if there is a problem for the low blood pressure or if it's just a side effect of dialysis. Oh. And I got a new gadget to take my blood pressure. It goes on my wrist like a bracelet. Winner!!!  Now I purchased this myself, but I can get a reimbursement through Medicare.  This is because of my ESRD.  All (most) of my medical equipment is covered by Medicare. And I have a lot. The dialysis machine (cycler) and Pureflow machine (dialysate mixer) are covered of course.  The dialysate kit, the dialysate bags for travel, the saline bags, the syringes ( 3 separate types - 2 different sizes with needles  ), the needles that go into my arm...we have to use the correct terminology..needles vs syringes!, sterile gloves ( 2 sizes.. 1 for me, 1 for Brian ), paper tape, plastic tape, gauze pads, sterile underpads, different medicines that we administer via the needles, sharps disposal containers, antibiotics, the blood pressure cuff,  Purel(!) test tube for taking blood samples, a centrifuge and even fedex boxes with postage paid to send out the blood. Whew. And I'm sure I leaving off stuff. Medicare would also pay for a treatment chair.  What we've purchased is a large trash can, a metal shelving rack to store supplies. We purchase anti bacterial soap, paper towel, bleach and black trash bags on a regular basis. 

As you can tell, Medicare is very important to me. Especially important since my health insurance was crapped on when the City of Detroit filed for bankruptcy. I was able to grandfather into a great Medicare advantage plan, but I lost it when I moved to Las Vegas. Ah well. Life happens. But here's the deal. Under normal circumstances Medicare advantage is not available to people with ESRD. We are left with regular Medicare..Part A, B and D. In a nutshell this means I am responsible for 20% of all my medical costs. And Part D is the medication component....and you're already familiar with me ranting about the dumbass donut hole. Anyway.  I end being responsible for almost $1,000 a month for my treat...not including my drugs. This could be a problem. Except. Humana in Nevada started a trial Special Neec Meficare Advantage Plan for ESRD in January 2015.  !! !!!!! !!!!!!!!  How flicking fortunate was that?  It's still nowhere as good as my Blue Cross Medicare Advantage, but he'll, it's better than straight up Meficare. Look. If someone says Meficare is an entitletlment. Tell them no sir. You tell them you responsible for 20% of all costs. And that can add up pretty quickly if you're ill. Or you do incenter dialysis at a cost of $17k a month. 

This a a bill I. The House to allow ESRD patients to be eligible for a normal Meficare Advantage plan. It's moving sloooooowly through congress. :-(  Anyway. My point is. Health insurance is something we all need. When you're looking for a candidate to vote for, look for one that understands that we all need affordable insurance. I am fortunate in many ways that I can literally afford to be sick. But there are many that can't. It's heartbreaking to read about people who are getting massive bills for treatment just to stay alive. You can feel the panic when people write about medical bills is excess of $250,000.   Or the cost of their medications are outrageous. You already know some of my meds cost from $400-$1800 a month if I'm in the donut hole. Just think about that. And think about what if you or someone you love has to go through this....and it's not just ESRD. It could be any illness or condition. 

Ok. Off my soapbox. Temps out here still in 110s out here.   Looking for a 10 degree temp drop. And we'll feel it!  And it's gonna rain next week!  Whee!!  Stay cool! And enjoy your weekend!  


No comments:

Post a Comment