Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The "Easter Weekend and Stuff", edition.

Good Wednesday morning. Well, I'm over the 500 mark in blog entries. And there are a few I started and didn't like and/or just didn't finish. Wasn't in the mood. Whatever. That's a lot of writing. Over the years I've taken 2 steps forward, 3 steps backward...5 steps forward, 2 steps backward.  There have any number of combinations. But. I'm still standing. 

I think I've mentioned that Dad, Brian and I go to brunch every Sunday. Back in the day, Mom and Dad and their friends would all meet up for brunch at Main Street Stafion. Dad is almost the last man standing. So when Brian and I moved here I told Dad we'd go out to Sunday brunch with him. And we have. We and Dad alternate weeks we pay. We've missed very few Sundays. And we've stepped up our game. We started with a rotation of buffets. But buffets get tiresome after a while.  We've added non-Buffett restaurants in the rotation. Dad especially likes Fogo de Chao...and you already know that. And he likes PF Changs. So this Easter we had Easter brunch at PF Changs.

Times have certainly changed from when I was growing up, with the big family holiday dinners. And I did do dinners when I first came out for my seniors but 2 have passed away and one is pretty much confined to his assisted living home. Never fear.  Now I knew we were going to a Chinese restaurant for brunch. So Saturday we got a small Honey Baked ham and a small Honey Baked smoked turkey...because I like the turkey and Brian likes the ham and Dad likes both. And yes it's way too much food. Anyway. Brian roasted some brussel sprouts and we fixed queso macaroni and cheese (!) If you like queso, you will like queso macaroni and cheese. We've been experimenting with our cooking and considered pimento cheese macaroni and cheese, but we shifted to queso. Yes it's as good as you think it is. It's a keeper!  

We've introduced Dad to gyros, and you know he loves the Mexican seafood restaurant.  He likes Buffalo Wild Wings. We've found an authentic Jewish deli and he got a monster Reuben. We also have a little restaurant where the owner is from Ohio, like Dad, and the owner gives Dad a hug every time we go there. . And she cooks the best hash in town!  Even lobster hash!  And these are just the restaurants that come to mind. 

On the dialysis from I'm doing ok. I'm sleeping better while doing treatment at night. I'm making peace with my arm..you know, the arm with the needles. The good news is that we're now waking up when the end of treatment alarm goes off!  

I've talked about my lab results, well here are my latest results...that I receive via email. You can see what needs to be controlled because of the kidney failure. The reports shows where I should be, where I am as of the last test, and the last 3 readings. What I can tell from the current report is that I will need the iron infusion this month. Ugh. My calcium is slowly rising, but it is connected with my PTH level. The nephrologist will review this at my next appointment later this month. Remember I had 1 of the 4 PTH glands shrunken in February. The PTH number dropped dramatically, but it still needs to drop more. One more procedure next week should do it.  The phosphorus is ok..a bit low, but this means I can eat some high phosphorus foods. The concerning number is the potassium. I wrote about that earlier. We'll be taking blood tomorrow to see if the those giant, humongous, I can barely swallow potassium pills are working. Huuuuuge. Lol. The stdKdt number is how well the dialysis working. It's working quite well, my clearance..removal of toxins is great. 

In the last week. I've been asked to talk to several people who will be starting dialysis soon. They are scared and there's nothing wrong with that. Just before we left Detroit, Brian and I both were trained by the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan to be peer mentors, so I'll be putting those skills to use. 

Well that's it for today. It's the windy season out here ..just before it gets hot.  Really hot. Heading off to deep water fitness. Have a great day!  


ALBUMIN

Your Goal
4.0 g/dL or Higher
Most Recent Value
3.9 g/dLon 04/05/2017

HEMOGLOBIN

Most Recent Red Blood Cell Count
11.6 g/dLon 04/05/2017

IRON SATURATION

Your Goal
20 to 50%
Most Recent Value
20 %on 04/05/2017

FERRITIN

Your Goal
200 to 800 - acceptable 1,200 ng/mL
Most Recent Value
381 ng/mLon 04/05/2017

CALCIUM CORRECTED

Your Goal
8.4 to 10.2 mg/dL
Most Recent Value
10.0 MG/DLon 04/05/2017

PHOSPHORUS

Your Goal
3.0 to 5.5 mg/dL
Most Recent Value
3.2 mg/dLon 04/05/2017

PTH Intact

Your Goal
150 to 600 pg/mL
Most Recent Value
987 pg/mLon 04/05/2017

POTASSIUM

Your Goal
3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L
Most Recent Value
2.8 mEq/Lon 04/05/2017

stdKdT/V Dialysis

Your Goal
2.0 or Higher
Most Recent Value
2.90 on 04/05/2017

VITAMIN D (25-OH)

Your Goal
Most Recent Value
16 NG/MLon 01/02/2017

The goal values shown here are based on general healthcare standards for dialysis patients; your specific    


No comments:

Post a Comment