Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

The "No News Really Means We're Doing Ok", edition.

Good Tuesday morning. I really had to push myself to write something today. It's been a while since I wrote an entry. What that means is that we're just living our lives and getting stuff done. I'm adjusting to nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHHD). The first week or so I had issues as to where to place my access arm. The two needles are inserted in the inside of my left arm above the crook of my elbow. During dialysis I usually keep that access arm still. Longtime readers may remember me struggling to keep that arm still and typing the blog with one finger on my right hand while I was in the dialysis chair at the dialysis clinic. 

Sleeping and trying to keep an arm still and stationary is another thing. Who sleeps in one position all night?  So adjustments had to be made. The machine is on my left side when I'm on my back and that's fine. That's just where it should be. I hate HATE having the tubing, with the blood flowing, running across my body. Anyway, the tubing is long, but not that long. I also slept with a single pillow. Now I start out with 2 pillows and a throw pillow to hold my head up while Brian attaches me to the machine. And a pillow on my left side for under my left arm. 

Once I'm hooked up to the machine I toss the throw pillow and sort of slide down from a semi sitting position.  I can manuever to my left side and rest my arm on the pillow. The first days my arm and hand would get numb.  But I was also able to lay on my back and bring my arm down.  Anyway. Now I move pretty seamlessly. And I am now  sleeping through the entire treatment. So. Yes. It was worth it. We now have our evenings free and we aren't sure what to do. Lol.

We weren't going out too often in the evenings because I started treatment around 6:30-7:30 PM and finished around 11:00.  So we just went to bed. But now!  The possibilities are endless. Which brings me to...Brian and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in November. We're pretty sure we'll be taking a trip. Just trying to figure out where. One of my home dialysis groups has an Alaskan cruise planned. I opted out. And then my nephrologist says we should go. It's beautiful. And we need to see it before global warming gets out of control.  Well it's too late.  The cruise is in June. 

Places we are are considering are Hawaii, a cruise, San Diego and Disneyland. Yes we like Disney. We have to plan for any of the places because we have to bring the kidney machine and supplies and there are supplies that need to be shipped to our location. We'll see. 

Finally I took Brian to a restaurant that piqued my interest, The Boiling Crab. It did not disappoint. We were seated a table and the hostess lays a big ole sheet of paper on the table. The menu has snow crabs, king crabs, shrimp, oysters, mussels, crawfish and lobsters. You select a sauce you want you seafood cooked in. Then you select a level of heat. We got a cluster of snow crabs at a medium heat with a sauce called the whole shebang. It was a Cajun, garlic and lemon pepper sauce. Of course you can the individual one, but all mixed up was yum! 

In addition to the crab leg cluster Brian and I each ordered a 1 pound bag of shrimp, the whole shebang, mild. Yes. A pound was way too much for me. The waitress put bibs on us   The food was brought out plastic bags swimming in the heavenly sauce. And yes we used our hands. Lol. I don't recall seeing any utensils. Except for the ones that we used to crack the crab legs. And oh yeah. The shrimp came with the heads on. Yep. We had to peel those suckers, but oh man. It was so good. We left a big pile of shells on the table and we two happy campers!  We will be back!!  

That's it for today. Well. My potassium shot down a little too far so I get to enjoy potassium rich foods. It's just hard to do since I actively avoid them. Ah well. Today we visit the trainer. They moved to a bigger location and there may several trainers, clients and classes going on at the same time. But it's a friendly and welcoming place. There are people like me and Brian all the way to people who are uber fit. And one day I'll tell you about the program for people with Parkinson's. I whine about going. I go and whine while I'm training and then afterwards I feel great. Lol. Anyway. Have a great day!  


No comments:

Post a Comment