Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, August 14, 2017

The "The Road to Oregon", edition

Good Thursday morning!  Last week we began our adventure, a trip to Corvallis Oregon. Why did we drive to Oregon?  Shawn started a new job this past Monday. In Corvallis, Oregon. And she was driving. Yes, she drove from Champaign-Urbana to Las Vegas (!).  She was able to stay with friends on most stops..Nebraska and Colorado. She stopped in Beaver, Utah, but had to stay in a hotel...which lost power in the morning..which hastened her leave time to Las Vegas. So she was here with us for about 3 weeks. Yay!  Happy Grampy! Happy Daddy! Ecstatic Mommy!  We had our Shawnie with us for a while!  But this past Saturday we started our trek to Oregon. 

Remember when we got the car last year?  A small SUV to do road trips with my portable( hahahaha) kidney. Brian suggested we rent a larger SUV for this road trip. And he didn't want to put the mileage on the Escape. So we rented a mid sized SUV, a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  When I picked up the SUV and drove it home, I forgot what it felt like to sit so high up. I liked it!  Anyway. We picked the Jeep up on Friday. I did treatment Friday night, Brian and Shawn packed the cars Saturday morning and we left just before 10:00 AM. 

There are 2 ways north from Las Vegas. On was straight up through Reno and the other route skirted south around the mountains then heads north on Interstate 5 in California  but is a longer drive. Pffft. I mapped out the shorter route. I planned to have us stop in Reno...it was about the 1/2 way point. However when I tried to make hotel reservations, it appeared most Reno hotels were sold out...or the remaining room prices were high. $200/night for Motel 8?  Lol. Outrageous! I ended up making reservations at a Wyndham Hotel in Carson City. So what was going on in Reno?  A car show...like the Woodward Dream Cruise...except the cars were all parked in downtown Reno instead of cruising down Woodward. Detroiters know what I'm talking about. Anyway. Apparently this is one of the largest events in Reno. Hence the sold out hotel rooms. 

So our 2 car caravan leaves Vegas Saturday morning and head north. The furthest north Nevada we'd been was Centennial Hospital north in Las Vegas where Dad has his hip replacement in 2013. Well we found out that there is another Air Force base just north of Las Vegas and what appeared to be 2 correctional facilities. And US 95 North goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes...and we'd be on 2 lanes almost entirely to Carson City. :-/  

Initially we had some issues. I couldn't find my iPad. I know I put it in the car..maybe the back seat. I did have my phone..which was also our GPS. And also much too soon, my seat became quite uncomfortable. It was hard. WTH?  I was disappointed with the Jeep.   I wasn't looking forward to sitting on a rock for the next 2 days. Anyway. All of a sudden a pack of fast cars passed us. They all had "Pure Rally" vinyl coverings on them. We had no idea what that was about.  Cars included Dodge Chargers, Camaros, I saw  a Nissan 300, an Audi, and a low rider truck, just to name a few. 

We eventually made it to Amargosa Valley and the Area 51 Alien Center. A delightful tourist trap..with a gas station, snacks, souvenirs, a restaurant and a cathouse. Yes, a cathouse (brothel).  As I got out of the car, Brian tells me he found the iPad. I was sitting on it. Well. That explained the hard seat. And no I have no idea how I managed to sit on the iPad. But I was happy he found it. Lol lol. So this is how our trip started out. Oh. And the Pure Rally?  It was a road rally event. Let's just say for now, that the cars stayed with us...more or less until we turned off for Carson City.  They were headed to Reno. 

The dialysis front. I did treatment Friday. We decided not to do treatment Saturday. It would have required bringing everything into the hotel and setting up it up, doing treatment, then breaking everything down for 1 night in the hotel in Carson City.  The plan was to do treatment when we arrived in Oregon Sunday evening. What I did need to do was watch my fluid intake until I had treatment. And I did. 

That's all for today. I have lots of stories and observations about this road trip and I'm going to share them all with you!  Bwhahahahahaha. Of course you don't have to read it. But you know, trips like this sort of normalize kidney failure and being on dialysis. We do things!  

Have a good Thursday. More to come!  






No comments:

Post a Comment