Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Saturday, August 19, 2017

The "The Road to Oregon, A Long Drive", edition.

Good Saturday evening. Late entry for my east coast friends. Ah well. We finally made it to Carson City. Yes, all 3 of us shared the hotel room. I usually get a small suite when traveling with Shawn. She sleeps in the sofa bed. However because of the event in Reno, and rooms in Carson City were scarce and high. We wake up early Sunday morning, get breakfast then head out for the final leg of the trip to Oregon. 

We go through Reno and there's a slight change in vegetation. And while we are no longer on the Pure Rally circuit, now we're sharing the road with classic cars returning from the Hot August Nights, Reno's  version of the Woodward Dream Cruise. I'm cautiously delighted that we're on a 4 lane highway. But as we went past Honey Lake...another large lake damaged by irrigation..the road goes back to 2 lanes. Bah. Not too long after we cross into California.  Oh yeah. We pass a tree of shoes. I almost broke my neck looking at it. I looked it up..when I could get cell service..and found out there are quite a few shoe trees in the US..including Michigan. Who knew?  

We get to a town, Susanville, CA. Quiet on a Sunday morning. The phone GPS guides us to turn here, turn there, then turn again. O. M. G. There is a big ass mountain in front of us. And I see cars going up the face of the mountain at maybe a 30 degree angle. Up the side of the mountain. Yikes!!! Right then and there I started apologizing profusely for taking the shorter route. A two lane highway up the side of a mountain. Up, up. Up. :-(  Glad Brian was driving. Anyway, we make it up. And now on relatively flat land. 3000-4000 feet up, but flat. All country. No doubt we are no longer in the desert now. Lots of trees. 

We are on a 2 lane highway with impossible curves and a 55 mph speed limit. But the locals were quite impatient with us for going the speed limit. One car that passed us gave us the finger. Eh. Oh yeah. Nowhere to stop. No rest stops, no services for 80-90 miles. Ugh. Eventually there is a rest stop. Shawn took a photo. Maybe I can get a copy. There was a lake, but I don't remember the name. I do know we stopped in a town just as we crossed the Oregon border. Good thing we got gas because we were in for more fun. Heh heh heh. 

We entered national forest land. And RV land. And up and down and through the mountain land. Passed more lakes. Seeing the trees climbing up the mountains was a magnificent sight to see. But I'm good. I don't have to do it again!  Lol. Eventually we popped out of national forest land just north of Eugene, Oregon, home of University of Oregon. Whew!  Flat land again!  We could see mountains in the distance, but they were in the distance. 

We finally arrive in Corvallis. Home of Oregon State Univrsity. I chuckled that University Of Oregon and Oregon State Univereity were right down the road from each other...like UM and MSU.  Anyway. GPS phone guided us to the hotel..which was right on campus. We unpacked. Got dinner at Elmers...a west coast chain. Headed back to the hotel and crashed. 

On the dialysis front. The plan was to do dialysis when we arrived in Corvallis, but it had been a long day and a stressful drive. I suggested I do treatment in the morning. One lesson I learned was if we're going somewhere that requires more than a day's drive, the drive should be no more than 6 hours so I can get treatment in. This trip proved to be an issue as I didn't have as many treatments as I should have. And of course when we did treatment when we arrived back home, there an issue. A faulty cartridge issue that we'd never experienced and a rarity. Now I need to do almost a week worthy of treatment..no days off..to deal with the fluid buildup. This morning I work up congested and had a little problem breathing. I didn't tell Brian. Shhhhh. Our secret. 

That's it for today. There are a few more entries about the trip. And.  We still have boxes to unpack. But we're loving the house! Enjoy your evening! 

Don't look down! 




A National forest. Beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment