Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The "I'm Still Here", edition.

Good Wednesday morning. It's been a while. It's also National Kidney Month. I haven't been motivated to write. No idea where the motivation went. Blog topics used to crowd my brain so much that I'd have weeks worth of material. Now, not so much. I'm sure it's because of my treatment schedule. When I was in center, I had 3.5 hours 3 days a week to write.  It was consistent. Once I switched to home hemodialysis the treatment time changed. And I wasn't as bored since I was home and had Brian to talk with and...I was home!  Plus treatment was in the evening. Then I switched to nocturnal home hemodialysis. So I'm doing treatment at home, in my bed while I sleep. Can't write while I sleep!  And then we got Glen the puppy, well, time became even more scarce. Anyway. It's time for an entry. 

It's been over a month. So how's it going?  The dialysis front has been ok. My phosphourus spiked to a dangerously high level. I got it back down. So my labs are fine but I still can't get to the protein level. The magic number is 4.0. I hover between 3.8 and 3.9.  Lol. No one can eat seven servings of protein a day. My parathyroid levels have stabilized much to the delight of my nephrologist and endocrinologist. And me, too. Looks like I may not need another session of sticking a needle in my neck. {{Ugh}}. What puzzles me is the idea of doing a series of injections in ones throat makes people cringe, so they'd rather have throat surgery?  I look at this way. 1-4 injections over time if needed. Or having my throat slit, parathyroid removed and a prolonged hospital stay while my calcium levels are stabilized. Oh yeah. I've had breakfast immediately after the injections. No they don't hurt...local anesthetic. Yes, the IDEA of a needle in my throat is disconcerting, but it's in and out. The doctor using the ultrasound on my neck is worse than the injection. Ok. Enough of that. 

A few weeks ago a friend from high school visited. She was going though some challenges the same time I started dialysis. Look at us now!  It was an absolute delight to see Doris!! She stayed with friends. When I looked up the address I realized her friends live very close to where swim!  Walking distance!  She wanted to go to a Chinese restaurant since it was the start of the Chinese New Year. Well Las Vegas has a huge Chinatown. More like Asian town. Anyway. We went to Joyful House Chinese  Restaurant.  Family style. Not like Stanley's. Very very good. Table had a lazy susan and we rolled that baby around trying out food. We'll be back. Enjoyed seeing Doris!  Lots of hugs!!

Then. One morning a few weeks ago I get on Facebook and find it that a good friend from elementary school had died. I'd known him 5th grade. Cliff had a radio program in Detroit and called me to ask for an interview after the shooting here in October. He wanted a Las Vegas resident perspective.  I told him I live 7-8 mile away from the area. I did the interview anyway. I did have have some local news that hadn't made it nationally and relayed it to him. How about that? Afterwards he called to thank me and we talked about way back when. He also was a kidney transplant recipient. His younger brother Michael donated a kidney. Cliff and Mike have been very supportive of me during my kidney failure journey. Cliff will be very much missed. 

Finally Glen. My fuzz ball. He's doubled in size and weight, on his way to becoming a cinderblock. It's time to get a larger travel crate. He's mostly house trained. Not bad for 6 months. I took him for a haircut. It was pretty disastrous so I'm going to try it again this week. Glen and Brian started an obedience class. Glen was just delighted to be in a park with other dogs. He did do ok though. And then.  While barking maniacally at anyone and anything that passes in front of the house, he jumps of a char and injures his left rear leg. Brian rushes him to vet, he gets X-rays, no broken bones. Just a bad bruise. They gave him painkillers. He was out for the rest of the day.  He's getting better. Get this. I'm on the floor with him hugging and comforting him. Dad goes into the kitchen. Glen races to the kitchen at Mach One speed on 3 legs. Lol. He's just now back to jumping on the back of the sofa to look out the window. He's doing fine. 

Well. That's it for today. This is National Kidney Month. Get those beans checked. You know the drill. Have a great day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment