Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Sunday, August 2, 2015

"It Never Rains in Southern Nevada....Riiight", edition.

Good Sunday morning!  The sun is nice and bright, the skies are blue. And the rain has passed through. It rained all day yesterday. But you need to understand that rain here in the desert is not the same as rain in other parts of the country. Oh and it's 78 degrees here. During the rain yesterday it was 85. I got tell ya, after weeks of of the average temp of 103-105, 85 felt a bit.....chilly (!). Yeah.  I'm just as surprised as you. Lol. Brian suggested that if it got any cooler we might need a jacket!  (J/K).  So back to the rain.  It sprinkled, I guess. It was never enough rain for the intermittent wipers so be intermittent, but just enough sprinkles to be annoying. 

There were also flood warnings for all day. So you say, well if it's not that much rain, why are there flood warnings?  Las Vegas is in a valley surrounded by mountains. When it rains in the mountains, the water runs (races) down the mountainside straight to Las Vegas streets and storm drains. The flood gets impressive enough that there are public service announcements on TV warning rsidents to avoid flooded streets. The steers also become oil slicks. Which prompted us to ask why the guy driving the Lamborghini was cruising in the rain. Side note. On the past 2 days we've seen a Masserati, a Lamborghini and a Ferrari. Seen enough Rolls Royces that I yawn now.  Lol. Waiting to see the ever elusive Maybach. 

On Thursday, my sands was in town with her husband. Brian and I met them for dinner. We hadn't seen each other in about 20 years. That was a treat!!!  We all had a a great time catching up on everything!  And now about she and I were wearing the same thing?   Lol. We enjoy when people contact us when they visit Las Vegas. 

So on the dialysis front, because we had a week of visitors, I adjusted my dialysis schedule. During the week, I also had my monthly appointment with my dialysis care team. I needed a blood draw and the nurse asked if I was doing treatment that night..because..you know...Brian does the blood draw. I told her no, we had visitors in town. She was cool and has always been cool about us rearranging the schedule. We may change days, but we never skip. If I gotta do dialysis, this is the way to go. So anyway, the blood was taken during the visit. I met with the nurses, dietician, social worker and the nephrologist. I'm still good. Still need to up the protein. Again, I ask, how much more eggs, fish, shrimp, chicken, beef can I eat?  Lol. For the record, I'm just a bit under, but the team is really picky about being within the ranges for these stats. 

Finally. During treatment last night, my blood pressure dipped twice. Not once, but twice!!  Geez, I hate that feeling. HATE IT. Bless Brian, he doesn't panic. He just does what needs to be done and keeps an eye on me. When the pressure drops, he administers 100 units of saline at a time through the the IV. I had to have 200 units before I stabilized. About 30 minutes later, the alarm that signals that the requested amount of fluid has been removed sounded. I figured we were over the hump. At that point I had about 45 minutes left on the machine. The remaining time removes toxins from the blood.  You know. That stuff I can't get rid of because I don't pee. Well. My pressure dropped again!  WTF!!!! 100 more units of saline. And I asked to be taken off. First time ever that I've asked to be taken off. In center or home. Had about 15 minutes left. Once off, I stabilized. The part that I don't like is dialysis is meant to remove fluid and toxins. Except, fluid was returned to me to stabilize my blood pressure. Ah well. It wasn't that much, but I need so watch my fluid intake today. 

That being said, I feel fine today. A hit of saline is like a hit of a wonder drug. It literally brings me back to life. Brian handles the whole situation like you'd think he would. My unflappable husband!  Lol. I'm all panicky and he's cool and calm. But in my defense, the feeling of dropping blood pressure is a scary feeling. I feel like my life is slipping away. And I'm not ready to slip away yet. 

So there you have it. Today I'm going to cook some Olathe corn. It's supposed to be good. We'll see. I grew up on Michigan sweet corn, so my standard is impossibly high. And I going to make some Habenero wings tomorrow.  No, it's not going to be fire wings. After I prepare them I'll let you know how they turned out. Have a great day.  The rain is over here and we're heading back to 105 degrees. Yay?  

No comments:

Post a Comment