Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The "Some Days I Don't Feel Like Smiling", edition.

Today, right now, is one of those days. I woke up feeling fine, but now, not so much. I'm sure I'll get over it, but sometimes I get tired of keeping a happy face. I'm sick dammit. And there is no cure. Sure I get out and try to do a lot of stuff, but some days itsjust plain hard and I have to force myself to get out. Some days Brian gives me a gentle nudge and sometimes he pushes. Sometimes I have to push back. 

Right now, the skin on the back of my hands is ridiculously fragile. What's up with that?  The skin seems to tear if I just look at it. My right hand appeared to heal and then, wham, I'm back to 6 scars over night. What the heck?  Where did they come from. And let's discuss my left hand, which was free from this nonsense. Until last Friday. Now don't laugh, but when I went to get into the car, I missed the seat. No. I don't know I managed that. Lol how the heck does one miss a car seat?  But I did. I floundered and finally made it, but in the process I tore half the skin off the back of my left hand. And it didn't tear nicely, it tore and didn't all come off, so if I washed my hands, water would go up in between  the torn part of the skin and my hand. And.It.Hurts.  A lot. 

So my right hand looks like I have measles, except is just scars.  And my hands also hurt. And my left hand is bandaged. No swimming for me today. The good news is I'm seeing the dermatologist tomorrow....after long last...  Again. Hooray for HMOs (feel the sarcasm). And then I started feeling nauseous. Eh. Par for the course. Remember, Pat. You are sick. Dammit. 

So after all is said and done is I still have things to do. I will go to the pool and watch Brian today. I'm going to find 1 of 3 broasted chicken places in Las Vegas to test the chicken. I plan on having it for Labor Day for my seniors.. Of course I do practice dinners!  Lol. Oh. And tomorrow I'll be helping the sorority pass out backpacks. So I'm going to ride the nausea out. Put some antibiotic and bandage my left hand and get to getting. And since it's going be about 106 today I'll stay in the AC as much as possible and tote around a water bottle. 

I do keep in perspective that compared to many, I'm doing just great. But some times all I know is I don't feel good right now. On the dialysis front, I'm concerned that some of fellow warriors have told stories of nurses and doctors aren't aware that we can dialyze at home and get treated as liars!!  When I went to the hospital, I encountered a nurse who wasn't aware of home hemodialysis, but she wanted to learn more, rather than telling me it was impossible or illegal (!). Anyway. Treatment has been fine.  I need to increase a med.  My parathyroid number has elevated and no one knows why. This is the one thing that is not controlled by diet. 

Well that's it. That's enough. I need to chill for the next half hour before we leave. Have a great day. 


3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. They have a page on Facebook called But You Don't Look Sick. I hear that all the time, saying I don't look sick. But I do have 'health challenges' and it is normal to feel down or feel angry. We are entitled, as long as we don't stay there. You are certainly one of the strongest people I know. If you ever need anything, I am absolutely here for you. We are here for each other and you can call me anytime day or night. I love you my friend. You and Brian are incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. They have a page on Facebook called But You Don't Look Sick. I hear that all the time, saying I don't look sick. But I do have 'health challenges' and it is normal to feel down or feel angry. We are entitled, as long as we don't stay there. You are certainly one of the strongest people I know. If you ever need anything, I am absolutely here for you. We are here for each other and you can call me anytime day or night. I love you my friend. You and Brian are incredible!!

    ReplyDelete