Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"It's Time", edition.

Good Monday morning!  I hadn't planned on writing today, but something happened yesterday and I wanted to share.  No, it's not earth shattering, but it's important to me.  And I couldn't condense it down to a Facebook entry. 

Yesterday was deep water aerobics. Our instructor, Vinnie,  calls it "Funday Monday". We get punished for a having a weekend. Lol. Our instructor is a hoot and he's young enough to be my grandson (!). And exuberant.  So much young energy!  He also must play music during the class, which is fine with me. I love music. There was a CD that was being used by him and the instructor of the class's before ours. I'm going to be a snob here for a moment. The class before ours is regular water aerobics. Bah. We work out in deep water. No bouncing off the bottom for us!  We even swim laps.  I digress. He brought in some new CDs starting last week. He brought the funk!  Ohio Players, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown and Morris Day and the Time, just to name a few!  What tickled us even more was he and a lot of the other lifeguard were singing and moving to the music. As much as lifeguards can, because they are, you know, guarding lives.  And you know most of these kids are young. And they are just delightful. 

So where was I going with this?  Vinnie, the instructor, wore us out because "Funday Monday". Lol. I get out of the pool really tired. Take a long warm shower, get dressed and stagger to the car.  And yes Brian staggered also, but not as much me. We needed some ingredients from the grocery store to make the Habenero wings.  Initially I wanted to just go home. I was that tired. But I got a second wind so we stopped a store on the way home. Incidentally, that store didn't have any habeneros. WTH?  lol. Anyway. I've got the cart and and start shopping. I see a lady I clearly recognize and she recognized me, but I couldn't remember from where. I didn't rack my brain too long because I moved on and out of sight of mind. A little while later it dawned on me where I knew her from. And then I saw her again. She was the lady that brought and picked up a guy who did dialysis with me at my old center. 

The gentleman was in the chair next to me. I always greeted both of them. I knew he spoke only Spanish, because every now and then a tech who spoke Spanish would have to explain or ask him something. I didn't realize the lady spoke only Spanish. Anyway. The gentleman was with the lady. And we greeted each other warmly. It really was nice to see him. I don't ever recall seeing any other of my dialysis warriors out and about. And that includes here in Las Vegas and when I was in Detroit!  Well guess what. We had a hell of a time communicating. :(  I got that he asked what happened and he actually asked if I'd had a transplant. Gestures go along way!!  I tried to explain that I was doing home hemo. And after all these years of know enough Spanish, I forget the words for home or house. Grrr.  I think he got it, but it was frustrating.  So it's time.  It's time i take a comprehensive Spanish class. 

It's not a huge deal if I don't know Spanish out here, but I do miss out on a lot. This is a bilingual town and I'm missing out on communicating with people. There were a significant number of dialysis patients who spoke Spanish in the center. The cleaning lady also spoke Spanish, but she also spoke English. As did Hector, another patient. So I'm in. I'm being met halfway, so I need to go halfway also. 
So now you know. It's time. 

On the dialysis front, no news.  Which is good. I need to do a blood draw this week. "It's The First of the Month".  You know you starting humming the tune.  Lol. The blood draw will happen tomorrow, I think. Yesterday was uneventful. I get antsy doing a  treatment after a crazy treatment day like Saturday, but I guess I will just have off days. 

The heat has returned..not 113 days, but 106 days. And yes, I can tell the difference!  That's it for today. Shawn made it home safely and getting ready for her next adventure!  Have a wonderful day!  

This would be me.  For now. And house is casa. Wow. I had a huge brain fart in the store. 
<ashamed>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment