Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, August 17, 2015

The "Because Everything Happens at Once", edition.

Good morning!  Did you have a good weekend?  I did for the most part. It's very hot here. We're under a heat advisory through Wednesday, meaning temps will exceed 110. Eh. I'm in the desert. So last I left I told you that the mystery of the fragile skin on my hand had been solved.  I had an appointment with the dermatologist, primarily for a mole on my face the seemingly took on a life of its own. Apparently it just turned into a wart (ew) and the doctor took it off. Yay!!  We also discussed the deal with my hands. 

Well time to back track. I have a autosomal dominant blood disorder. Like them big words, dontcha?  I'll let you look that up. Anyway, the blood disorder is acute intermittent porphyria. Doctors believe this is at the very least a contributing factor to my kidney failure.  I've read about porphyria and am aware of different types.  And I also knew that people with porphyria were sensitive to sunlight. Trivia alert.  It is believed that the legend of Dracula is someone who had porphyria. You know, the sensitive to sunlight thing.  So anyway. The skin on the back of my hands was tearing and blistering for no apparent reason. Well I found out that there is a reason. 

I also have  porphyria cutanea tarda. The sunlight in my hands is wrecking havoc in my hands. :-/  I did fine in Michigan and assorted vacations. Because I wasn't  constantly bombarded by sunlight. But now that I live in the desert, my body basically said, "WTF?  Oh hell no!!"  And then the porphyria acted up in a big way. Well long story short, I now need to wear protective gloves when I'm in a car, as that's when I get the most exposure. Yay?  Lol. It's going to always be something.  

And let's discuss me tearing half the skin off my left hand, while somehow missing the car seat. No I still don't know I missed the seat while trying to sit in a car. And yes you really do have permission to laugh!  My left hand hurts and looks really funky. Yesterday it started to swell. So we visited an urgent care facility. Of course not just any urgent care center but one that had to be covered ny my HMO...I digress. The doc assures me my hand is healing and that's just how it looks. It looks weird because most injuries aren't as deep. So my hand got slathered with neopsorin and wrapped. It kinda looks like a hand cast. 

From the dialysis standpoint I am concerned because the hand wound is on my dialysis access arm and my dialysis access is my lifeline.  Literally my life line. But I have no infection. Whew!!  And initially, I was putting an antibiotic on it and wrapping it anyway. I take that infection shit seriously. With no kidneys an infection can be devastating. And oh yeah. The doctor raised his eyebrows when I explained I did home hemodialysis. People just have issues with us sticking our needles in our arms at home. But you, my readers, are informed!!!  Home hemodialysis is about the best you can do short of a transplant!!  Ha!  Oh. And finally, an impacted wisdom tooth decided to get in on the party. I'm looking for a dentist today. Of course. 

Finally, a photo from the backpack give away. You see all those back packs behind me?  There were even more on either side, we didn't get all of them In the photo. And yeah, most of them were gone by noon!  Also a photo of my hand. And the cartoon depicts what happened yesterday. The first clinic was  like we don't cover your insurance. It'll cost $200 just o see the doctor. But, the clinic did direct me to one that does accept my HMO. Can't be too mad about that!  

That's it for today. We're staying cool. Maybe get a pedicure today.  Take care and have a great day!  




No comments:

Post a Comment