Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, March 28, 2016

The "I Have a Helicoptor", edition.

Good Monday morning!  The day after Easter. I'm seeing the White House Easter Egg Roll on the news. Many years ago, I think I was 7 or 8, my mom and I visited my godparents who lived in Washington DC during Easter. My mom and godmother took me and my godsister, Judy, to the White House for the Easter Egg Roll.  I recall it was raining, the egg roll was canceled and we got a tour of the White House instead. Judy also remembers that we were supposed to provide our own eggs!  I don't really remember the White House tour, but we got a souvenir book. Not a pamphlet, but a paper bound book with lots of pages, lots of photos and history of the White House. I wore that book out!! Mom was disappointed that the egg roll was canceled. I didn't know what the heck an egg roll was. Lol.  

Yesterday we prepared Easter dinner for Dad, Brian, Carle (with an e!) and myself. And the plan included taking food to Pauline and her niece since Pauline is pretty much confined to her bed. I finally scaled down the number of items.  But I'm still making way too much food. The only one I got right was the greens. So. My menu. Greens. Supposed to be vegetarian, but I use chicken broth. Sauté an onion and two cloves of garlic. Add greens. Sauté greens. Add chicken broth.  Cover. Chop up a few jarred jalapeño peppers. Add the peppers and some jalapeño pepper juice. Add salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 2 hours. Reduce heat and let the flavors steep. It was on the stove about 3 hours. Sooo good. 

Brian made the cornbread. We're still trying to master the fried cornbread patties so we opted for Marie Callendar cornbread. We had corn. Frozen corn. Took it out of the freezer the night before. I cooked it like I cook fresh corn off the cob. It wasn't sweet corn. :-/  I added some sugar. Voila!  Sweet corn. Lol. I over cheesed the macaroni and cheese. But really. There is never too much cheese in macaroni and cheese. Lol. I asked Brian if he wanted some macaroni in his cheese.   We also had a relish tray with sweet gherkins, 2 types of olives and pickled peppers. And oh yeah. The smallest Honey Baked ham we could get. We chuckled when we picked up the ham. The store was filled with senior citizens buying hams. Grandma isn't cooking ham any more!  How am I defining old?  They all had white hair!  Lol lol. 

Anyway. After we ate, Brian packed up food for Pauline and her niece and packed up Carle's care package. And yes, we got him his half gallon of fancy Neapolitan ice cream...strawberries in the strawberry, vanilla beans in the vanilla and chocolate, well it's just chocolate!  And we took one of the Easter lilies to Pauline. We added number 6. Rofl. I kinda figured that.  We were glad to see her and she was glad to see us. And she was glad to see the food we brought. I'm so tickled my seniors like my cooking. I've learned a lot of mom's techniques..and secrets!  And we, yes Brian too, enjoy cooking. One day I'll tell you just how good his steaks are. Anyway. We had a great Easter.  Oh yeah. I received compliments on the place settings. They were paper plates and napkins from Party City. And Brian selected it. He was drawn to the square plates. Lol. 

Ok. You're wondering how I have a Helicoptor. I do. He's called Brian.  Lol. You've heard of Helicoptor parents?  I have a Helicoptor husband. He doesn't like to be too far from me. And I understand why. He's come home to me having passed out on the floor. Or even fainting in his arms ( at least I gave warning). And in my defense, if I feel bad, I don't attempt to go out at all. But he still keeps an eye on me. Heck, I've even caught Dad peeking into the room to make sure I'm ok. And I do the same to him and Brian.  Rofl. We're all checking in on and trying to take care of each other. All three us.  Lol. I digress.  We spend time together, but we do spend time apart. Like when I go to my sorority functions or my other organization. He goes to classes I have no interest in. Like woodworking, wheel throwing, or oil painting. And today he's starting cross fit. I'm actually curious about that. I'm thinking about yoga. And even if I'm not feeling well, he'll convince me to accompany him on errands just to get me out of the house. And I go.  Lol. I may be walking sideways and walking into walls. But I go. And I am glad to get out. So yeah. He's my Helicoptor. 

On the dialysis front. I think we've got the access issue under control. I was having trouble hitting it and thought there was a problem. However my nurse nailed it. Somehow I was getting off angle attempting the stick. So I just need to concentrate. I'll go into more detail later. 

Have a great Monday. Shawn will be arriving Thursday night so we're excited and planning for that. She's here for a conference but we get a few moments of her time. Lol. If our moms loved us like we love our kids, that is sure a whole lot of love!!  And then!  We're planning for Dads 90th birthday. He is absolutely stoked about that!  

My Helicoptor husband and my wonderful daughter. Photo taken inside of a pod at the High Roller in Las Vegas. You know, the giant Ferris wheel!  

No comments:

Post a Comment