Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The "Getting Ready", edition.

Good Tuesday morning!  Brian and I celebrated our 29th anniversary yesterday. We're now starting on 30 years!  Last night I read an article about couples who stay together vs couples who don't. It refers to couples as masters or disasters. The traits of the masters are expressing kindness towards each other and engaging each other. Engaging and acknowledging is something as simple as Brian wanting to go to the Harley Davidson store here and me saying sure, rather than saying I'm not interested in motorcycles.  Or joining him at a ceramics class. It wasn't for me for many reasons and I quit, but I tried it because he liked it. Or having him drive way across town to go a certain store or market. I guess we really just enjoy each other's company. And that's not a bad thing! 

Our celebration was low key this year. Dad wanted to celebrate with us. He offered to take us out to wherever we wanted for dinner with the stipulation that it cost no more than dinner for 3 at the Golden Steer. Well, I'm beefed out for a while. I love a great prime rib or ribeye, but Dad has worn us out at Fogo de Chao. And we couldn't decide what we wanted. So Dad recommended The M Resort buffet. Jackpot!!!  And that's where went for Sunday brunch. That took care of everybody. We got there and Dad went and got the flutes of champagne. We toasted out 29 years and we were off!  Dad got a steak and baked potato. I headed for the lobster bisque. Brian tried baba ghosh and quinoa.  Then I tried tried ginger crab legs. And tempura shrimp. Then regular crab legs. Apparently I wanted seafood. Brian found the prime rib. And for desert little chocolate mousse shooters. By then I could only try a spoonful of each. So full. Lol.  Oh yeah. I'd noticed oxtail soup while checking out the food. So Brian got a bowl. Yes, it was delicious!  

The actual anniversary day, Monday, we went to the movies.  We saw Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them. In 3D DFX (enhanced sound ... aka loud!  Lol). We've read and seen all the Harry Potter books and movies....remember Shawn was just the right age when Harry Potter first came out. Yes we preordered books. Never stood in line at midnight, though. I miss Borders. :-(  Anyway. I enjoyed seeing another perspective of the wizard world...the US group. Enjoyed the movie and found out there will be more movies. And as a side note the book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was referenced in one the Harry Potter books for a class taken by Harry and his friends. We got home and Brian cooked spaghetti. He's gotten pretty good!  

We're starting the holiday season. I hate that my baby is so far away. And it it's too far for a short (long) weekend visit. So as I've done before, I've ordered a Thanksgiving meal for Shawn from Honeybaked ham.  Yes I spoil her and I will always spoil her. She's my baby!!!  She asked for and will receive a smoked turkey breast. Sooo good. And potatoes au gratin, sweet potato casserole and broccoli casserole.  She requested that I didn't order the green bean casserole. She didn't like it!  She said she'll try roasting brussel sprouts. Heh. I hated them as a kid. Now we cook them in a different way and they taste good. I digress. She will be going to two dinners on Thanksgiving day but she'll have her own left overs!  

On the dialysis front I was reading a blog I'd written a few years ago about the holiday schedule in the dialysis center. And how I had  to watch (more) my do and fluid intake. Being on home hemo has allowed me to eat pretty much what I want. Of course I get my labs and watch my numbers, but by doing hemodialysis more frequently the phosphorous and potassium flush out. At one point I was told to eat more foods high in potassium!  Bananas! Avocados! Orange juice! Potatoes! Sweet potatoes!  I still do them all, but in moderation. Anyway. This allows me to have a nice Thanksgiving dinner.  I don't miss the incenter dialysis. At all. I may bitch and moan and complain about dialysis but at least I had choice in my treatment. It's not easy and it's inconvenient. But it's what's keeping me alive. Some days I tell Brian I hate dialysis...and I do, but I still look forward to it. Eh some days I hate my life,but what other choice do I have..no I'm not in the rabbit hole. For the next couple of days we have to juggle to times for dialysis. It gets in the way of life.  But then it is why I have life. Eh. We work it out. 

Finally. In the middle of November. We finally turned off the air conditioner. Heh heh heh. Love it!  No heat yet. Maybe next month?  Heh heh heh. Love it out here. And we finally..after over 2 years...unpacked a crapload of photos. I have some real treats that Brian has to scan. He complained to me that he didn't know where the wedding photos were.  Of course I knew exactly where they were.  I packed them!!  Lol. Went straight to them. He scanned a wedding photo he liked. 29 years ago. That's it for today. We go the trainer for an hour of torture. :-/  And then we'll feel better.  Lol. Have a wonderful day! And a wonderful holiday!! 


Then


Now

1 comment: