Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Sunday, November 27, 2016

The "My Dad is so Spoiled", edition.

Good Sunday morning! This is the end of the Thanksgiving weekend but wait!  There's more. I'm doing Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon. Let me backtrack and explain. 

About a month ago we received a call from my cousin in San Diego. She was hosting Thanksgiving dinner and had invited Uncle Buster and Aunt Pris for dinner. And would Uncle  David like to come.   Well. Uncle Buster and Uncle David ( my dad ) grew up together in Yellow Springs, Ohio along with my cousin's dad Uncle Doug. Dad was trying to tell me didn't have to go if it interfered with my dialysis treatment.  I told him it wouldn't be an issue. I worked out the logistics and started making plans. So Dad went to a family reunion in Ohio this summer now he wanted to go to a west coast reunion. We were going!  

The plan was to drive to San Diego on Thursday, Thanksgiving day and leave on Saturday. This would allow me to get treatment while in San Diego. We'd been warned about Vegas to Cali traffic so we pulled out at 6:00 AM. We stopped in Barstow for breakfast. Did I mention Brian did the bulk of the driving?  Did I mention we hadn't done this drive in over 25 years?  Traffic heading to Vegas was busy.  Not so much heading to California. At one point we noticed a snow capped mountain in the distance. As we got close to it, lanes opened up on the right side indicating they were truck run off lanes. :-O  I forgot that. We were going to go down the mountain...twisting and turning. Yikes!  Im glad Brian was driving. Looking over the side of the mountain just freaked me out And after we finally got off the mountain we were greeted with California traffic....on Thanksgiving day. Go figure. 

Anyway. With stops for breakfast and stops to stretch and give Brian a break, we arrived at my cousin's house just before 1:00. We were told dinner was at 1:30. It was based on Uncle Buster and Aunt Pris. They are in assisted living and would have use a transport bus and they could only stay so long. So we made sure David arrived on time. Oh and Uncle Buster didn't know Dad would be there. 

The transport dropped off my aunt and uncle. They had to come through the back of the house...they both use wheelchairs and there are no stairs in the back of the house.  Uncle Buster rolled in and looked to his right and there stood Dad!  I wish I had a photo of Uncle Buster's face when he saw Dad. And I wish I had a photo of Dad grinning!  They were delighted to see each other and stayed with each other the entire time. And they were cutting up. I got chased out of the backyard because they were so bad. Oh yeah. Thanksgiving in San Diego allowed us to eat outside if we wanted to. The weather was devine. 

I got the chance to see cousins I hadn't seen since they were kids .. And cousins I'd never met. And of course the cousin who invited us. Of course I knew her!  We grew up together. Yes. We had a wonderful time. And yes. Apparently this will take several installments. 

That's it for today. I'm doing treatment right now as the sweet potatoes are cooking. Watch me finish up the entire dinner by 4:00!  Enjoy your day!  And the spoiling of David continues!  


West coast family   Brian got in the picture and I answered the door.  Lol. 

Dad acting up. No surprise. 


Dad and Uncle Buster ramping up for trouble. 




No comments:

Post a Comment