Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, November 11, 2016

The "A Special Day", edition.

Good Friday morning!  Happy Vererans Day!  Ahhhh. I just had a really nice stretch.  So today is a special day. It is Veterans Day. My Dad is a WWII veteran, Brian's dad is a Korean War era veteran, my brother is a Vietnam War era veteran. My husband was in the US Air Force reserves during the first Persian gulf war. My nephew is currently in the US army. My godfather was a Colonel In the US army during the Vietnam war. My cousin was a Sargent during the Vietnam war and lost his life. My uncle served in France during WWII. My grandfather was a WWI veteran. The list goes on and on. Today is the day we honor them and thank them for their service.  

Today is also the birthday of my mom.  She would have been 92 years old today. I miss my mommy. Well into adulthood I had no problem cuddling next to my mom in bed. Nothing makes you feel better than just being with your mom!  Of course we had differences, but we'd talk about stuff. This is one example. When my parents moved to Las Vegas they joined a local Episcopla church.  A thriving church. With a fantastic choir. At some point a new minister was appointed. The new minister announced he was a non-practicing homosexual. OMG. The church went bat shit crazy.

People left. A lot of people left. Mom was torn. And we talked about it. We talked about how his sexual orientation affected her.  It didn't.  And did she enjoy his message. Well my parents stayed at the church and embraced the minister. In fact when Mom and Dad celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, that minster presided over their renewal,of their wedding vows. I was extremely proud of my mom. Her entire life was learning and education. Educating herself and others. Granted, we had a lot of generational differences, but we could discuss our differences and would listen to each other's point of view. This is one of the lessons I learned from my mom. 

So today I celebrate the Vererans. And I celebrate my mom. Dad and I reminisce about her every now and then. She spoiled both of us. Every time Mom and I talked on the phone she'd tell me she thanked the Lord for me. She'd also tell me that my father was a good many and she loved him. And then she'd accuse me of taking her comb and brush back to Detroit after a visit to Las Vegas. Lol. Because if you can't find something that you misplaced, it's always Pat's fault! Anyway. I have great memories of my mom. Lol. I am a lot like her in many ways. And there are vast differences between us. But there was always love. <3

On the dialysis front. Well there's nothing!  And that's good. My trainer is pushing me more and I'm surviving. Heh no I didn't even whine at her this week. Lol. During training, music is playing and it's not unusual for Brian and I to start singing.  Tony, the gym owner plays songs and tries to stump us. We usually get the songs, but every now and then we don't have a clue. We did a nice rendition of "Bring it on Home to Me", by Sam Cooke and Lou Rawls. And then...the original "Gold Digger" by Ray Charles came on which made us chuckle since we had just listened to Kanye and Jamie's version on the way to the gym!! 

Well that's it for today. Enjoy some music. Hug a veteran!  




No comments:

Post a Comment