Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The "I Could Live Near a Beach", edition.

Good Tuesday morning!  Thanksgiving is over and there are just a few days before December. We'll start the Christmas thing then. So yeah. We went to San Diego. We stayed at a Doubletree Hotel very near my cousin's house. Her youngest son answered the door. I hadn't see him in a while and I had 50/50 chance of getting the right name. I failed. Lol. The oldest son is Shawn's age. This was the youngest one..but when they're young adults all bets are off. As a side note the young man remembered us, but really remembered Shawn. Here's the story. Years ago we were in Yellow Springs at the house of another cousin. Shawn was about 7 years old. The cousins have a swimming pool. We didn't bring Shawn's swimming suit, but she was wearing shorts so we let her go in.  Her young cousins were already in. Shawn has been taking swimming lessons since she was 2 so we were fine with her swimming. And also there were a ton of adults watching them. Well at one point the youngest cousin who was a novice swimmer got into trouble near the deep end of the pool. Shawn pulled him to safety. So now the family story is Shawn saved him. 

My cousin had us over for breakfast the next day. We mentioned that we were going to find the ocean since we were so close. Yes I've seen the ocean. Yes I've been on the ocean. But I am a water baby.  You know that..remember me saying "learn to swim?"  Anyway.  My cousin offered to take us to a beach. Our destination was La Jolla (pronounces La Hoya). Dad was impressed by the highway system. Lol. Anyway. We get to the beach. Houses and apartments were literally right across the street from the beach and ocean.  I want to live there!  The beach was beautiful. People were kayaking and people were surfing. It's November!  The beach was busy!  I fell in love!  We drove around the coastline for a while. Then my cousin pointed out a cross on top of a mountain. It was a veterans memorial. She drove us there. 

The roads were turning and twisting and she navigated it like a pro. But I tell ya..it made me miss the relative flatness of Las Vegas!  Lol. The view from the top was awe inspiring. I sat on a bench near the edge. It was easy to get vertigo up there. I admit. If I could afford it, I'd move to La Jolla  in a second. However I get that these houses are so far out of reach. So yeah, we bought some lottery tickets before we left California.  :-D  One can hope!  

On the dialysis front, we took my kidney with us. This was the first road trip with the portable kidney. It required a different, but smaller and lighter travel case. However we had to take the supplies we usually have shipped. The company ships for 3 days or more. But this is the reason we got an SUV. We learned that we might need a larger SUV. Lol. But in our defense we hadn't planned on traveling with Dad. It worked out though.  And we had less boxes on the way back home. We learned that we need to maintain a travel set of supplies. We forgot the blood pressure cuff and the face masks and the flow sheet. I purchased another cuff, so now we have the travel cuff. We winged it without the masks since neither one of us were sick. And Brian printed a flow sheet from the Internet in the business center of the hotel. Treatment was uneventful. Yay!! But the set up and getting supples had us starting later than we'd like. We had to pass on the dinner invitation with my cousins. It just got too late. 

That's it for today. I'll finish up the trip in the next entry of the blog. I think I mentioned that we finally turned on the heat. But the sun is shining, there are no clouds in the sky. And we're back to our routine...deep water fitness and working out with our trainer. And looking forward to my baby coming to town! Have a great day!  



Views from the memorial. 



The ocean. The glorious ocean! 




No comments:

Post a Comment