Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Thursday, December 1, 2016

The "End of the Thanksgiving Weekend", edition.

Good Thursday morning. We left San Diego Saturday morning. My cousin wanted us over for breakfast but it was going to rain and I wanted to make sure we were out of the mountains before that happened. We'd been in the Pennsylvania mountains during the rain. It wasn't pretty. In fact at one point we went from the rain to the being in the clouds to being over the clouds. Ugh. 

We used the GPS is the car. The odd thing was it gave us a different route out of San Diego than the route to San Diego. Silly car. Lol. But we did pass an Air Force base and went through downtown Riverside. And the bonus was the traffic was light. It could be that was because we left town around 7:30 AM. Also the climb up the mountain was much more tolerable than the twisty turny descent.   We stopped in Barstow for breakfast.  I drove to Primm to give Brian a break.  Brian and Dad bought some lottery tickets. So, you know, we could win and buy a place in La Jolla. Primm has an outlet mall that was crowded (I guess Black Friday extended into Saturday)  and the traffic back to California was impressive. It's not often you see bumper to bumper traffic in the middle of the desert...for miles and miles and miles.......and miles....and then some more miles.....Lol. We made it home. Brian shopped for the fresh items that we needed to cook for our Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. 

Woke up Sunday. Put on the sweet potatoes and then started treatment. We decided to get it out of the way so we wouldn't have to do it late in the evening after dinner, while we were tired. I finished treatment just before noon. We now had 4 hours to get the dinner done. The menu was Honeybaked ham and smoked turkey breast. Sausage dressing, green beans with chipotles and adobo (yes yum), candied sweet potatoes., cranberry sauce, gravy and corn if cooked and frozen.  And a couple of pies. And yes, we had 1 guest. And yes, dinner was served at 4. No problem.  After treatment I peeled and prepared the sweet potatoes and cooked them.  Dad snapped the green beans when he came back from church so after I finished the sweet potatoes I cooked the green beans. Brian had done his sous chef thing and had diced the onions, garlic, celery and green pepper for the green beans and dressing. Oh and we some rolls. Tasty meal! 

On the dialysis front, the infusions of iron makes my porphyria react in a bad way. My skin is extremely fragile and tears easily and blisters.   It's always something. Bleah. Currently I get iron infusions every other month. My body can't produce enough iron because I have no kidneys. The doctor is considering iron pills.  We'll see. So anyway if you see me with bandages you know that I have a skin tear. And I'm using the bandages and using antibiotics because I'm susceptible to infection.   Yeah it's always something. But my husband makes me keep on going. And that's not a bad thing!  

That's it for today. I understand it's warmer  in Michigan...for now. than it is out here. But we have no clouds. And the sun makes it feel not as cold. I'm still good out here! Today is December 1st. Let the holiday season begin!! Have a wonderful day!  

Coming down the mountain. That's Primm in the distance. And the Nevada state line. 



A pantry staple! 

No comments:

Post a Comment