Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, February 17, 2014

The "Dialysis and Blizzards", editions.

iPad on Tower of Power, "You're Still a Young Man". Horns. Horns. Vocals. Horns. Watching the weather on the east coast scares the day lights out of me.  Dialysis patients  unable to get to dialysis.  We have supplies for a 3 day emergency diet.  But we can tolerate only so many days before life threatening fluid retention occurs.  And can you imagine how the following dialysis treatments will be?  I can tolerate the removal of 3 kilograms, tops.  Anything after that my blood pressure drops dramatically.  It would take several days to get me back to "normal" - getting back to my dry weight.  Drinking about 16 ounces of fluid a day. :-(    In the meantime I'd be feeling miserable and out of commission. Breathing would be difficult because it's been established because the fluid goes to my lungs. Ugh.  Some patients in the south and east, if they can make it, have had their times cut. Not cool.

I wonder if I were able to reach a hospital if I'd be able to get treatment.  Heh, they'd probably have to do an insurance check. Sorry Mrs Fields, we don't accept your insurance. That certainly is a possibility. Speaking of insurance, an agent from Blue Cross called Friday afternoon, asking more questions.  She then said, oh, you should go through the City.  I shouted, "No", as it appeared she thought the issue was solved and was on the verge of hanging up.  I told her I'd already tried that and I was ineligible. I'm thinking, why the hell do you think I'm going the Medicare Advantage route?  You know, the federal government part went quite smoothly.  The private insurance part is a clusterfuck. ;-(

Aerosmith, "Dream On".  Raise those lighters. My Wendell is at home and is adjusting to hemodialysis (HD).  He had been on peritoneal dialysis (PD). but that was the cause of his infection.  HD is rougher on the body than PD. HD is hard core concentrated dialysis, 3 days a week. PD is 3-4 times a day and at night, daily.   It's better, in the sense that there is more dialysis more often.  It is also a portable solution.  The drawback for me was I would not be able to go swimming.  See the link at the bottom for how PD works.  Anyway, Brian and I dropped by yesterday to bring him some chicken salad. He's eating (yay!!).  And ditched the walker (yay!!!).  "Green Light", John Legend featuring Andre 3000. Interesting duo, but it works.  He's looking better. We talked about HD and recovery of coming out of ICU. We talked about the catheter and the fistula. I told him it just takes time. And some HD days are better than others. And it's  OK to just be pissed. 

Watched Dreamgirls over the weekend.  Enjoyed it all over again. Lol. Jamie Foxx sure did play a hateful person.  My last hateful character was Mister from "The Color Purple". Took "Dreamgirls" for me to forgive Danny Glover - lol.  Jamie Foxx was able to overcome my hate.  I think because I'd seen him in other movies and TV shows and like his recordings.  

Signing off with Kool and the Gang, "Open Sesame (Part 2). " I am the genie of sound. Everybody get down."  :-)   More snow today. Really?  5-6 inches. Really?  Betcha I won't be here next year to experience any snow.  Have a great day.  :-)Peritoneal Dialysis

No comments:

Post a Comment