Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, March 16, 2015

The "Starting a New Week", edition.

Laying in bed just before I get the day started. I still insist on the blinds being opened. In the morning I see the sun rise. We had the window opened for a few nights. I actually like that. But right after treatment last night I got hot. My blood pressure was trying to drop..well it did drop. So we turned on the air conditioner. Anyway, back to the open window. The condo is about 3 miles north of McCarran Airport. One of the flight paths is very close to the condo. We see planes coming into the airport from the northeast. The planes actually take a dramatic turn over the mall, which  is 1/2 mile east of us. How do I know this?  That's was the approach the plane took when we returned from Denver. I'm like, "Hey, there's the Boulevard Mall" , as I'm looking straight down on the mall!!!  Lol. Yikes!!!  

The flight path is being used much more right now because one of the runways is being upgraded. I think it'll be finished this summer. Anyway, at night, I can see the planes coming in. I'll see as many as 4-5 planes in line for approach. Here's the fun part. Until the planes turn over the mall, it looks like they're headed straight for the condo!!!  Even better is when they switch from landing to taking off. Instead of approaching, the planes are taking off. The smaller planes shoot up like rockets. The midsize planes, like Southwest are pretty high by the time they get near us. The big planes?  They're working on getting that height. Lol. Also, because the airport is effectively on the middle of town, it's not unusual to have a plane taking off or landing right over you. The roads that you get that effect are Tropicana, Eastern and Las Vegas Blvd. even now it's startling if you don't see the plane before you hear it. And finally. The planes do stop after 12:30 AM and start again after 6:00 AM. I call the early planes my alarm clock. No, I'm not bothered at all. I love watching planes. 

We invited Dad's friend Carl over for red beans and rice with cornbread. And ice cream. Because Carl really likes ice cream. I enjoy having Carl over and he and Dad just have a great time. As always, we sent Carl home with leftovers and a 1/2 gallon of ice cream. :-D  I've actually planned to have him over once a month and have planned out the dinners. Next up is Easter. Carl's wife died 2 weeks after mom. I kept prodding Dad to get together with Carl. They both were grieving and were withdrawing. They finally started getting together. Carl is in an independent senior center about 8 miles from Dad. Carl is also legally blind. Dad would get a bottle of champaign and they'd drink and watch the Lakers. Anyway, now they're both getting out and having a good time. 

Time to start a new week. You know, I marvel that Brian has embraced his role as care partner. He does quite a bit to make this home hemodialysis possible. And he's so serious about it. Sometimes I don't think I can ever thank him enough. Wrap your arms around your loved ones and let them know how much you love them.   Have a wonderful day. Yeah. It's going into the 80s. No apologies. I'm loving it!  

Photos of Carl, 93 and Dad, almost 89. Dad took the selfie with the iPad. It was fun watching Dad showing off his knowledge of technology.  Lol. Oh yeah. Carl is one with glasses. 


No comments:

Post a Comment