Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, March 27, 2015

The "Pushing Through and Moving Forward", edition.

Well. Wednesday was a pretty sucky day. For the record, I'm a proponent of not holding emotions in. That can make you sick. But it still isn't fun when you need to let the emotions out. I woke up Wednesday and my arm hurt. I couldn't move it above my waist. Brian had to help me get dressed. But you know what?  I told Brian we were going to take a road trip. Yeah. I felt bad, but not bad enough to stay in the house. 

Road trip?  Where did we go?  We went to check out the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. As an extra bonus, the race track is directly across the road from Nellis Air Force base and we got treated to the Thunderbirds training. And other assorted exotic USAF aircraft. I'd wanted to see the racetrack for a while. During Christmas, the track area is decorated but getting there was not a priority at the time. Mans there had been a big NASCAR race here a few weeks ago. Also the track is on Las Vegas Blvd heading north and we hadn't been anywhere near that far north on Las Vegas Blvd.  So we get see North Las Vegas, Nellis Air Force Base and the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. 

Now I've been to Michigan International Speedway..granted that was decades ago, but this one here in Las Vegas is huge. HUGE!  And impressive. As we turned on the property, we saw Las Vegas Police being trained for auto chases. As we wound around the area, heading for the gift shop, we saw the drivers training for Las Vegas Police motorcycles. The gift was shop was all NASCAR all the time. And yes I have photos, although Brian's is on his camera. Maybe you can convince him to publish his.  Oh yeah. My arm was still hurt and i wasn't  feeling 100%, but I enjoyed myself. Plus the weather was nice. That is always an emotional boost. 

We marveled at the size of Nellis. Brian used to be in the Air Force Reserves, stationed at Selfridge ANG. We'd go to the commissary every now and then. I asked him if he were still active and had is ID could we go to the commissary at Nellis. He said yes, we could. We did enjoy watching the planes. He explained one of the planes targeted tanks. I enjoyed the lesson. :)

Afterwards we stopped at a grocery store and the store was selling sweet corn!!!!  And yet I didn't buy any. Lol I'm planning to fix sautéed corn for Easter.  It was too soon to buy it. But then  I'd gotten tired and waited in the  car until Brian finished shopping. For the record, we went back on Thursday to get some corn. I needed to test it and see if it really was sweet corn. And also for the record, we went to a grocery store closer to me and they didn't have corn. :-X  Las Vegas is odd like that. Anyway. The corn wasn't as sugary sweet as Michigan  sweet corn, but it was sweet enough. I'll be bake next week to get some more for Easter dinner. Yes. We had corn on the cob for dinner last night. And it was good!!!  

Finally, I've worked through the logistics of traveling with my "portable" (75-80 pound dialysis) machine. We wanted to take Amtrak from Chicago to Champaign, but moving the dialysis machine is more than a notion so we'll rent a car in Chicago and drive. And that's fine. Because the machine is medical equipment, there is no extra luggage or weight charge. But I've been warned to make it a priority package. I clearly am not interested in my dialysis machine traveling to another city. :-/    We're all looking forward to the trip. And by all I mean me, Brian and Shawn!  <3. 

That's about it. I had a small issue with my needles last night, but I was able to resolve it. Every once in a while I manage to miss the track during insertion and I don't get the flashback of blood in the tube, which indicates I've hit the track during the stick....I hope that made sense. When that happens I have to manipulate and maneuver the needle until I get it into the track.  Meh. Sometimes I'm dead eye Pat. Other days I'm Calamity Jane. Yesterday I missed both the venous and the arterial on the first try. Got it on the second.  Remind me to explain flashback in more detail later. Anyway after the needle debacle, the run was uneventful. Concerned about my chronic low blood pressure. Isn't that weird?  I've been hypertensive since I was pregnant, "Pregnancy Induced Hypternsion". Now I'm doing home dialysis and its low, low, low. Average 100/79 and even lower during the runs. I finally got approval to see the cardiologist so I'll make the appointment for next month. 

Signing out. Tomorrow is looking like 90 degrees. I have no apologies and am loving every minute of it. As always, as much as I love Michigan, the trade off is worth it. Have a great weekend !  I'll make every attempt to send some of the beautiful weather your way!!  And thanks for the all the wonderful warm thoughts on Wednesday .  It did help me feel better. :-)

1 comment: