Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, December 11, 2015

The "Enjoying Visitors", edition.

Good Friday morning!  We were close to 70 degrees yesterday. I guess its unseasonably warm, but the news people sure do whine about the temps dropping to the 40s. Lol lol. Whine to me when the high for the day is 15 degrees. 

My aunt and uncle are in town along with 3 of their 5 kids.  Rosie flew from Texas to Ohio to get them. Brenda flew in from Georgia and Donna flew in from Arizona to be here with them. How fabulous is that??  When I was a kid I spent as much time as I could in Yellow Springs, Ohio  with my aunt and uncle. Their youngest daughter, Brenda and I are the same age and she is one of my best friends. We were in each other's weddings. Uncle George and Aunt Jeanette always welcomed me with love. And Aunt Jeanette introduced me to lemon meringue pie. Donna, Rosie, Tanya and Larry treated me like a little sister...in a good way!  Lol. It was great to me, since I was an only child. 

Years later as I was diagnosed with Acute Intermittent Porphyria and the later when my kidneys failed, I found that Aunt Jeanette was in the same sucky health path as me. Even to the point where our kidneys seemed to fail at the same time. I had hoped to visit Aunt Jeanette in Yellow Springs before we moved to Vegas, but life didn't allow it. So imagine my delight when Rosie called and said she was bringing her parents out here. And thats more than a motion. Both are in wheelchairs. But they are all here to help!  

Brian and I will have lunch for them on Saturday. I know how to provide a renal friendly meal and we discussed it.  Well.  It's gonna be Road Kill Grill!!  Ribs, chicken, green beans, slaw and peach cobbler. Since my aunt is having issues with staff giving her the meds at the right time, we have to be cognizant of phosphorus and potassium. Remember, though, since I dialyze daily, my diet is not restricted.  In fact, I've been instructed to increase my potassium and phosphorus!!!  Potatoes, tomatoes, avocados who hoo!!  

Anyway, I am just delighted to have my aunt ,uncle and cousins in town. And yes, Aunt Jeanette is getting treatment while here....like I used to when I visited. As far as I'm doing, the daily dialysis is bringing the fluid down.  I'm about 1kg from the target dry weight the neph suggested. I've started cramping a little during treatment so I know I'm getting close to what my dry weight should be. To put this in perspective, I was carrying more than 7 pounds of fluid on a regular basis. No wonder I felt bad.  I am getting better. I still get tired, but most days are good. That's it for today. Have a great weekend!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment