Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The "Sushi Verdict", edition.

 Good Wednesday morning!  This is the last edition for 2015.  Almost a year since I started the training for home hemo. I could go on about our accomplishments for 2015.  But not right now.  I want to tell you about sushi and our plans for New Years Eve and New Years Day.  I may do the year in review on Friday. We'll see.  

So sushi.  Shawn likes sushi.  I've had it and not only have I tried it, I tried in the 80s before it became a thing. So there!  A friend, whose mother is Japanese had a restaurant in Livonia near Laurel Park Place. She had us come and have a sushi tasting party. I recall liking it, but not something I'd drive to Livonia to get.  Time passed and sushi just wasn't on my radar. My child, on the other hand, loves sushi. I think she really fell in love when she lived in Washington DC. So anyway. We're talking on the phone before she gets out here to Vegas and says she wants some sushi. I ask her, hey you live in a college town with a large Asian population, aren't there sushi restaurants there?  She informs me of several facts. First is that Champaign-Urbana is in the middle of nowhere. Insinuating that getting really fresh fish for sushi could be problematic. Second, yes there is an Asian population, but it's mostly Korean and Chinese. And as a matter of fact it's the largest concentration of Koreans in the state.  Maybe I heard that wrong?  

So my job was to find a good sushi restaurant here in Vegas.  So as I look them up, one of the restaurants that got high ratings is very close to where we live. As a matter of fact, I knew exactly where it was because I'd seen it and had wondered about it. The name is Yamasushi and its AYCE.  What is that acronym?  All You Can Eat. From my experience I'm thinking a sushi buffet and that just sounds yuck. But. The restaurant was getting high ratings. I'm clearly puzzled. So we just jump on and go. The place was packed!  And people still just kept on coming. As we sat and ate we watched the line to get seated grow. 

So how does AYCE sushi work?  I guess it's like Chinese dim sum?  You order off a menu, which has an impossible number of items and the server brings you what you order. Eat, repeat.  Until you cannot lift your chopsticks anymore!  Lol. We'd order the sushi, California rolls, tempura rolls, Diablo things, etc., the list was huge. Each plate had up to 10 sushi rolls on it and Shawn, Brian and I would each order something different. (My child likes eel....erm..). I even tried miso soup.  You pay one price and you gave a 1.5 hour time limit, then eat sushi until you burst!  Well I didn't burst, but I got full and I enjoyed it. Even if I fought with my chopsticks. And Shawn had her sushi jones taken care of!  

Will Brian and I go there once Shawn is gone?  I don't plan on it unless Brian has a hankering for sushi, but I won't turn my nose up on it again. It was good and filling.  That being said, I'd still jump for burrito instead!!!  

Friday we're having red beans and rice, with chipotle and  Gruyere cornbread, a salad and a pineapple upside down cake. Pauline and her niece are invited. And Brian and I invited our neighbor's down the hall. They moved in the complex about the same time we did. They're from southern Illinois and are very nice. They bring us (mmmmmmm good) cookies for Christmas.  And it's just time to reciprocate. I know.  New Year's Day is black eye peas. But I can't cook 'em. So it's red beans for us.  My recipe?  Sautéd onions, celery, green pepper and garlic in olive oil.   If I'm doing vegetarian I also add red, orange and yellow peppers and vegetable broth. Add sausage, like Jimmy Dean, then add andouille sausage, if I can find it, if not then smoked sausage. And yes, sometimes I used smoked turkey sausage. Add the jar of beans, add chicken broth and cook. Periodically use a potato masher to mash some of the beans. Gives it a thicker consistency.  Add a bay leaf or 2. Season with salt, pepper a little red pepper flake...or a lot depending on how spicy you like it.  Cook for about an hour then serve in a bowl over rice. Good stuff. 

Well that's it for today.  I'm starting the process to get on the transplant list here.  Yesterday I got a call from UMC, University Medical Center, the only transplant hospital in the state. :-/  So I'll be on the test merry go round again. The good news is my primary care physician has already had me take a lot of the tests to get a baseline. Woot!! 

Enjoy your day and a safe New Year's Eve!  See ya' next year!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment