Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, September 2, 2016

The "We Sent Dad Away!", edition.

Good Friday morning!  Yes. Yes we sent my dad away. Away to Yellow Springs, Ohio. It's family reunion time. :-)  He's got a full weekend. The family reunion, a high school reunion (!) and a reunion of my aunt's wartime club.  In addition to visiting a few friends. To say he was looking forward  to this trip is an understatement. He had me make his airline reservations. Yes. He researched airfares on his computer and told me he decided on Frontier to Columbus. See, Yellow Springs, Ohio is kinda small. Airport in Dayton, Columbus or Cincinnati. Columbus seems to be the preferred airport. Population of Yellow Springs is around 3500. Oh yeah. Dave Chapelle lives there. No.  I have no idea how he ended up there. Lol. Anyway, the Perrys were there first.  My family has been there a loooong time. I digress. 

We dropped him off at the airport last night. I told him to behave himself. Lol. And since he was flying no frills, nickel and dime you, Frontier Airlines, we packed him a care package...2 sandwiches, cashews and some peanut butter cheese crackers. My brother and sister in law picked him up this morning. Yellow Springs is about 60 miles from Columbus. When I talked to my brother this morning, my dad was hollering "I'm bring good!"  Heh. My brother gets to have him now. Lol lol. 

Shawn is going to drive to Ohio Saturday morning for the reunion. She'd initially planned to leave after her Friday morning class, but she has office hours Friday afternoon. Her first month as a TA...wouldn't look good to ditch work so early in the semester!  She's looking forward to seeing her grandfather and her aunt and uncle and cousins. I wanted to go, but the logistics of transporting and making arrangements for my dialysis machine and equipment overwhelmed me.  A trip less than 5 days isn't worth the trouble.  But a trip 5 days or more is expensive. We have to stay in a hotel. I'm not not willing to impose my dialysis set up on anyone's house. And the rates can exceed $100/day. And we need to rent a car. And of course the airfare. And just coming from Augusta, I wasn't prepared to plan a second trip. Of course right now, I wish I had. Ah well. Welcome to the world of a person on dialysis. No sponteniety here. Hell, everything has to be planned 6 weeks in advance. Yes. It's depressing. Welcome to my life. Again, I've digressed. 

Brian and I are here alone. And there are some days Dad may irk me, but his presence is missed. But. Brian's birthday is Sunday so we've made plans. We were going to go the buffet at Caesars, but our barber suggested The M as it was comparable but less expensive. The M is like the last resort before the desert head to California. I wondered if the money we save on the cost of the buffet will be made up in the cost of gas. Lol. And Brian wanted a tri tip from John Mull's meat for the holiday. So for Labor Day we'll have the tri tip, macaroni and cheese and fresh green beans. Also on Saturday afternoon our acrylic teacher is having an exhibit in Boulder City so we're going there. 

So yes we'll be busy. And yes we'll miss the fun at the family reunion But dad has figured out to use the camera on his phone. Shawn will take pictures. I'm counting on my niece to take pictures. And there will be lots of Perrys taking pictures. And I need to mention this. We have several elders 80 and up. There's Arnold, Aunt Jeanette, Uncle George, Aunt Dorothy and Dad. I'm not sure if Aunt Nina will come. And Aunt Marlene and Uncle Roger are in California, as are Uncle Buster and Aunt Priscilla.  But look at that!  They'll all be celebrated!!!  I'm delighted that Shawn will attend. I've always loved going to Yellow Springs and being with my cousins. I love being a Perry!  

That's it for today. The dialysis angle was the stress of traveling. It is what it is. Eh. Have fun this weekend!  I'll try to keep you updated.  And I'm looking forward to the antics of my dad. I'm not sure my brother knows what he got himself into!  Lol lol. 



My dad and my brother. 






No comments:

Post a Comment