Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Thursday, March 2, 2017

The "In a Holding Pattern", edition.

Good Friday morning!  Long time between entries. That's not a bad thing. Brian was fighting a cold and kicked it over to me. I'm still coughing, but I'm doing much better. At least I don't have that awful chest congestion. Ugh. And of course this coincided with the ablation procedure...so the coughing with an irritated throat along with having the procedure in my parathyroid gland made for several uncomfortable days. But as with most things, it got better. 

I had my monthly kidney team meeting this past Monday. And the dialysis center had a little thank you celebration for care partners. Yes, my care partner is Brian. There were several people there. The funny thing was most of us patients were from Detroit(!).   I later commented to Brian that maybe there was something in the water in Detroit that made our kidneys fail..hmmmm.  

I reported on the ablation procedure to my team. They were excited to hear about it because apparently I am the first patient from the center to have the procedure. I can only say the level of excitement of the medical professionals tickled me. I understand  why. The normal procedure for removal of the offending parathyroid gland is surgery with a three day hospital stay. And it is that long in order to keep an eye on the calcium levels. Apparently the levels can rise and drop dramatically...and dangerously. The ablation procedure causes a slow steady drop in the calcium levels. We took the blood for the tests last night so we should get the results early next week to see how the procedure is working. Including the PTH numbers. Fingers crossed. The endocrinologist is really looking for results within 6-8 weeks. 

This month is National Kidney Month. I'm posting information about kidney health.  I may sound redundant, but kidney health is no joke. I don't wish any of this on anyone. Take care of your kidneys get those tests periodically know what the signs are, but understand, a lot of the signs and symptoms don't show up until it's too late. 

That's it for today. Enjoy and have a wonderful day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment