Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Thursday, March 16, 2017

The "The Last Day of Training", edition.

Good Thursday morning!  No music. But that's because I'm at home. In my bed. Brian in the chair next to me. My nurse in the chair at the foot of the bed. I guess I could put my headphones on. That actually sounds like a great idea. Hold on. I have to ask Brian to get up from the recliner, walk to the other side of the room to get the headphones. Rob Thomas, "This Is How  a Heart Breaks". He also plugged them into the iPad. Then I try to put the headphones on using one hand. I can't. First you say, why am I using one hand. Well, because my left arm has the 2 needles in because this is my last day of nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHHD) training. I've digressed. So since I can't manage to get the headphones on with my free arm, I use both arms. I'm successful in getting the headphones on....and then an alarm goes off. Of course. I'm not surprised. Brian and the nurse look up. Brian checks the alarm error. I confess that I moved my arm. He turns off the alarm, the machine is satisfied and dialysis karma is back to normal. Yay?  Lol. 

The Originals, "Baby, I'm For Real". Lol. This came out when I was in Jr high, maybe?  I'd dream of someone singing this to me. Anyway.  Today is my final day of training for NHHD. We spent 3 days last week at the dialysis training and this the 2nd day at our home.  There a few differences from home hemodialysis (HHD) . There is different equipment. The cartridge and dialysate are different. The settings on my machine needed to be changed to reflect the longer dialysis time. A blood leak sensor was added. We needed to learn how to use it and attach it to me. But in the scheme of things, the differences were slight. It's just a matter of repetition. The biggest issue is doing treatment for 5 hours during the day (Bleah) for training. But it's temporary. 

I'm sure I've mentioned why I changed how I do dialysis but let's review. When I started dialysis 4 years ago(!) I was going to the dialysis center, 3 times a week..treatment lasted 3.5 hours. The more I researched, I learned that incenter dialysis was the worst possible treatment. And I felt it. Those 3 days were lost days for me. Detroit's own Five Special, " Why Leave Us Alone". One of my favorites, with my longtime friend Tony "T Money" Green on the bass!  Got stories about this. One day I'll tell 'em. Anyway. With incenter dialysis I basically functioned only 4 days a week. Yes I traveled, but dialysis days were a wash.  Ugh. 

Just before I left Detroit I decided I wanted to try HHD. However since the move was imminent I waited until I arrived in Las Vegas. Much to my surprise, my first day at my new Las Vegas center, the social worker asked if I was interested in HHD. Hell yeah!  This was in early August. She said training should start in about 6 weeks. It was 5 months. Lol. Once I started HHD, and this was during the 4 week training period, the changes were immediate. But then I heard about NHHD from my groups. I thought about it. And discussed it with Brian. So I asked my nurses and nephrologist about nocturnal. The benefits sounded pretty good. Longer gentler dialysis. And the quality of life aspect. Instead of treatment sometime during the day. Usually in the evening, but we were flexible enough to change days and times with the only restriction that I never go more than 2 days without treatment. That actually worked well, even when I travelled. 

But NHHD?  Michael Henderson, " Valentine Love". Ha! When was the last time you heard this?  NHHD allows me to do treatment while I'm asleep. No setting aside time during the day or moving treatment to an earlier time. Woot! It's longer and gentler treatment. And!  It's every other night. Alrighty!! And the only treatment that is better is the transplant. Sounds like a no brainer. And so here we are. 

Tomorrow night Brian and I will solo. I know you're asking but what about every other day.  Shouldn't you be doing this Saturday night. And the answer us yes, we should. But. Larry Graham and Graham Central Station, "The Jam". I'm bed dancing?  Damn skippy I am!   Ok. We're jumping of schedule right if the bat because the sorority us having a "soirée" Saturday night. And I'm not trying to go soirée ing  then come home and do treatment!  So you see, the flexibility is still there. We talked with our nurse about it and she said no one is going to get upset if you add treatments. Just don't skip a day!  :-D

Brian and I feel confident to get this done with no issues. And I need to add that Brian is a superstar doing this. I'm really overwhelmed that he does all of this. So we should be back on a normal schedule tomorrow. I'm sure we'll have fits and starts but we will settle into a routine. Larry Graham sure can make that bass sing!  

That's it for today. Yes, the training has sort of interrupted me doing the final preparing for Saturday. Like yesterday we did deep water fitness, then raced across town for the manicure and pedicure. Tired Pat, indeed. So yeah, I'll be glad when this week is over. Leaving you with Isaac Hayes, "Never Can Say Goodbye". Yeah, I cranked up the volume. 

The new set up. The machine needed to be moved. 


The old set up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment