Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, March 6, 2017

The "Dialyzing at the Center This Morning! What??!?", edition.



Good Monday morning. iPad set to Barry White "Love Making Music". OMG. Listening to Barry with Bose headphones makes you want to start removing clothes!!!  Lol. Yeah well, I'm in the dialysis chair with 2 needles in my left arm and a blood pressure cuff on my right arm.  So the clothes stay on. I did tell Brian to leave the room so Barry and I could have a moment. ;-D  lol. So yeah since I'm doing treatment at the center, I got the iPad and the music. Yeah!! 

Ok. Why am I at the dialysis center. I know you're saying, Pat..I thought you do dialysis at at home. Why the heck are you back at the center?  Ah. Shuffled to Funkadelic, "Standing on the Verge of Getting it On". Well. There are several reasons why I have to do treatment at the center. We've had to review to make sure we're still doing thing correctly. Or that time the nephrologist wanted me to change how I do the needle insertions. Or some tests that need to be taken. But this time. It's for training for a new dialysis procedure. 

Right now I do dialysis at home, 5 days a week.  Usually in the evening, but it's pretty flexible. Depending what we have planned we can adjust the times and days of treatment. But!!  I moving from daily home dialysis to nocturnal home hemodialysis. What this means is that I will do dialysis at night. While I'm asleep. In bed. iPad shuffled to Earth a Wind and Fire, "Sunshine". Chair dancing!!!  Phillip Bailey!!  Anyway. There are a few new and different procedures to follow for nocturnal dialysis. A new do dad is attached to my needles. It's a sensor to detect blood leaks. Sucker is electronic!  It will sound an alarm if my needle access leaks while I'm asleep. Also because I'm on longer, I get a higher dose of blood thinner...we don't need no stinking blood clots during treatment. That would be a very bad thing. Yikes!  And oh yeah. Treatment goes from 5 days a week to every other night. Whoo hoo!  

More dialysis, and longer, but gentler. And it's not interrupting our day because..it's at night...while we're asleep.  The gentler part is important. Every time  I do  treatment  my organs are taking a beating. Especially my heart. Eric Clapton (Cream), "Sunshine of Your Love". I can name that song in 1 guitar riff. I'm sort excited. This the next best thing to a kidney transplant. I mean. I hate everything about my kidney failure, especially dialysis, but we're doing the best we can to have a fairly good quality of life. Oh my goodness!  Isley Brothers, Make Me Say it Again, Girl". Apparently I'm really missing my music!!   Excuse me while I get lost in Ron Isley's  voice. 

So anyway. Today is the first day of training. I have 2 more days of training. Just a few changes. Oh. Last night while I was inserting a needle, while adjusting the needle, it slipped out a little and a small amount of blood spurted up. Brian kinda jumped back, and I jammed it back in the hole. Lol. Nothing like a little fountain of blood to get your attention!  Lol. 

Finally Dad took us the Mexican seafood restaurant yesterday. I had Camarones al mojo de ajo. So so good. Yeah. You get to look it up. Dad ordered the molcajete again and finally decided it was too much food. But it sure is impressive to look at.  And food is good. Brian?  He had shrimp tacos.  And as always, I'm pretty sure we were the only non Hispanics in there. But the food is soooo good! 

Signing off with Stevie Wonder, "Creepin".  Yes, I like Luther's version also, but I like Stevie's more. So there!  Have a wonderful day!!  



This is a molcajete. In a stone pot..keeps everything hot. Shrimp, chicken, steak, cheese and vegetables with a savory sauce in the pot. And when the dishes where cleared the pot was steam steaming!!








No comments:

Post a Comment