Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The "The Reason Why", Edition.

Good Tuesday Morning!  Had an uneventful treatment last night. And that's a great thing. I feel fine this morning. Sometimes I get itchy. And when I get itchy I use benedryl. And it works but it also makes me drowsy. Ugh. For the record, I'm given benedryl for "conscious sedation" when I get the fistulagram and angioplasty. It also helps because I'm allergic to the dye. Found that out during the first time I did the procedure. Wasn't pretty. Yikes!  Had a blast during the procedure. We were talking about SpongeBob and The Smurfs. I digress. My neohrologist suggested I use Claritin. It should relieve the itching without the drowsiness and loopiness. We just keep forgetting to get the Claritin when we go to Walgreens. We're gonna get some today!!! (Famous last words - lol). 

So we bought a house. Well, we really bought a condo. A condo works for us because there are some things that the association takes care of. We're basically responsible for stuff inside the unit. So why, you ask, did we purchase a condo?  What about the condo you currently live in?  Well. The truth is, we always planned to purchase a condo. Before we moved to Las Vegas we tasked Dad to find a new condo. Our requirements were 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, single story and allowed dogs. Dad added his own requirements...gated community and 55 and over. O. K. That threw a monkey wrench in the house hunting. I actually was aware of  condo community that fit the bill, but supposedly his real estate agent drew a blank. And let's just add that the reason I knew the community existed is that a friend of my parents lived there. We went there for Thanksgiving one year!!!  But ok. I got the message. Dad wasn't ready to be uprooted at that time. And we all fit into the apartment. I switched out some furniture to make all rooms usable...my mom was old school. A living room was a living room. But I actually made it a living room. Lolololol.  Anyway. 

We were doing fine. But eventually the dialysis equipment was taking over. We all started having storage problems. Where to put lawn chairs, luggage, groceries, shoes, you name it. And the defining event was the pool and hot tub were getting repairs. And the horror!  The hot tub wasn't ready in April when Dad was ready to start up!  He was over the HOA board and to be honest they are a doozy! Dad tells me one morning that he's ready to move.  Ok. So one day at a sorority committee meeting I asked my sorors if anyone knew a realtor. Lol. Oh yeah they did. They knew several. After much debate, they settled on one. They gave me her phone number. And the realtor was contacted and they gave her my number. Guess who called me later that evening!!!  And we're off. 

She set up a system where I received lists of available properties. Easily 50 properties were sent for me to look at. In the end, we visited 5 properties. My original request was for a condo. And in our travels, Brian and I found several condo communities that fit our preferences. They were hidden gems. We let the realtor know. Properties would come up and I'd literally would have to drop everything to look at them. 

The first property was what I wanted where I wanted when we moved to Las Vegas. In Las Vegas. The price I wanted. It needed work, but hey, we watch HGTV.  Lol. What stopped us was the seller had lien that they wanted us to eat. Oh hell no!!  The next property was ok, but I was iffy on the neighborhood and "gated" was well yes and no. The third property was a single family home. We actually liked it. I was gonna install a hot tub for Dad. I digress. It was a bank owned foreclosure. We got out bidded. The fourth property was in a community similar to the first one.  The communities are called Sunrise Villas. There are nine (?) Sunrise Villa communities in the area. It was fine. We made a bid. Then.  We got the inspection report. Yikes!  It needed a new roof and there were foundation issues. Let's just say the cost of the inspection was money well spent. The bid was withdrawn. 

Well. One day I getting my manicure and pedicure and get a phone call. A unit has opened up in my original community in Henderson. Can I meet her there...now. Lol. Well I'm sort of across town, but I say give us 30 minutes.  And in 30 minutes we're there. I need to add we always had issues trying to enter the security codes into the gates, but we made it. We got to the property after getting lost in the subdivision. Anyway. First thing we see is a back porch and then a two car garage. We did the walk through. It was what I expected and more. And you should have see all of us looking up at the roof and checking out the foundation.  lol. And yes.  There is a pool and a hot tub. Actually 2 of them. And the hot tub is in good walking distance for Dad. 

We made a bid. Bid accepted. Got the inspection. Inspection passed. Got the mortgage. Got the appraisal. Wired money to escrow. Asked buyer to pay for a few minor repairs. Go to title company on Wednesday. Got the keys on Friday. Buyer has the unit cleaned. We just bought a house!!!  Did we get the space we needed?  Oh yeah. The kitchen is larger. We now have a breakfast nook and a formal dining room. A living room, of course. 3 bedrooms. Yay! But wait, there's more!  We have a den!! And 2 full bathrooms and a powder room. Lol. We have space alright. We now have more rooms than furniture!!  

We're excited and kinda overwhelmed. But we're doing what we need to do to move. And I need to really give a shout out to my real estate agent, my Soror, China Frazier. She was on it all the time. And she knows people!  Locksmith, moved, etc. She was with us and kept us informed the entire time.

 Well, that's it for today.  You know I have more stories about this journey, but I'm going to stop for now. Last night we had fresh cabbage, corn on the cob and cornbread. Yum!  But tonight is the broiled  shrimp boil. Yum!  Happy Fourth of July, ne safe and have fun!!

Lol. This. Fingers tried to cramp! :-D

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new home. This is a great post, very informative. As I read it, I felt like I was right there with you house 🏡 shopping.

    ReplyDelete