Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Sunday, July 16, 2017

The "It Was a Pink and Green Week!", edition

Good Sunday morning!  My hectic week is over. And yet, as hectic as it was for me, it must have been crazy busy for many others. My Las Vegas chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (AKA) Theta Theta Omega Chapter(TTO) hosted the AKA semi-annual Leadeship Conference. My chapter of 130 members hosted 7000+!sorors! Of course we had help. Lol. But let me say this. The members of TTO who chaired committees did an excellent job. The national office met and planned and made many trips out here. And we got assistance from sorors in the Far Western region and other chapters around the country. 

We started signing up to volunteer for committees several months ago. I signed up for registration because I thought I'd be able to sit...knowing my stamina levels are not where I'd like them to be.  Stupid ESRD and dialysis. But there seemed there were a zillion committees!  (There were - lol). Anyway during the process I had to install a couple of apps of my phone for communication and other stuff. Technology! The conference was from Wednesday thru Saturday. The headquarter hotel was the Bellagio and the volunteers were able to register on Tuesday. 

Of course the Bellagio couldn't house all 7000+ AKAs plus assorted staff. Other hotels that turned pink and green were Aria, Vdara, Planet Holltwood, Caesars Palace, Bally's and Paris Las Vegas. That's a lot of AKAs. But remember at the boule last year there were over 20.000 of us! The Aria marquee tuned pink and green, the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign turn pink and green, the beautiful Bellagio fountains turned pink and green!  And I just revealed in all that pink and green!  

I worked registration and distribution and my intentions were good. The first day, Wednesday, I worked from 6:30 to just after 1:00. Another Soror and I passed out the goodie bags during the registration stream. There were 3 stations...registration, where we received our conference credentials, distribution, where we received our tshirt a and conference tickets and the goodie bag station..that's where I was!  We easily gave out over 1000 bags!  We enjoyed meeting and talking with sorors from all over the world, 

I crashed and burned by 1:00. My body literally failed me at that point. Brian was supposed to pick me up, but was still at the new house waiting for some deliveries. And I didn't want to have Dad navigate the strip to get me. And based on how long I had to wait on Tuesday for Brian to navigate the strip, I told Brian I'd just take a cab home. Now here's the kicker. I had to walk from the convention area at the Bellagio to the front. When you have absolutely no energy that's a hell of a long walk. When I get tired like that I get oh so focused on my destination. All I knew it was a long ass walk, but I made it and I got that cab. I have to thank my TTO sorors who saw I was in distress and assisted me. 

I was scheduled to work registration on Thursday and Brian joined me. He is a "Honey Do" and was prepared to help out as needed. (Honey do this, honey do that) The day before I noticed quite a few "Honey Dos" and some were proudly wearing their Honey Do tshirt!  Gotta get one for Brian!  Anyway. I did treatment Wednesday night. I was still pretty much wiped out. I arrived for registration duty and lasted about an hour and half on registration. :-(  Well. I tried. But even as I tried, I was upset, angry and really depressed about my inability to do more or participate more. Stupid ESRD and dialysis. By Friday, there was no need to registration as everyone who was coming had arrived. 

And then there was Saturday. The last day of the conference. Gala night!  Four locations, four concerts!! Terisa Griffin, DJ Vince Adams, Will Downing and Cameo. We had to select a concert when we registered. My choice was a no brainer. I could tell you that I've been to Will Downing concerts and Cameo concerts before and that would be a true statement. Brian and I saw Will Downing at Chene Park and had backstage passes. And I saw Cameo at an out door concert in Vriginia in 1983 (!) along with Roger and Zapp. But Brian had never been to a Cameo concert. So Cameo it was! 

We arrived at Bally's. The walk to the venue was tolerable. We were served dinner..a buffet. And a desert table that was impressive. And then we went into the concert venue. Heh. My sorors that came to see Cameo were the party starters!  Before the concert started, music was playing. The stepping started and the line of AKAs was long and loud!  And over in the corner the security guard was dancing!  And then Cameo came out!  

Lots of singing and lots of dancing. And I forgot just how loud a concert can be!  Lol. Let's just say we had a ball!! Party over here!!  

Well that's it for today. I've got more updates on the move, but the entry is long enough already!  Time for my TTO sorors to recover from a job well done.  I loved being in and being a part of all that pink and green. 






No comments:

Post a Comment