Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, May 3, 2013

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis, the "I Am a Big Ole Kid", edition

iPod shuffled to "Midnight at the Oasis", Maria Muldaur. "You don't need a camel when I take you for a ride". (!). Yeah, that lyric was over my head when the song came out in the 70s. Lol I've got 2 needles in my arm today. I'm excited. Doesn't that sound bizarre? Excited because I've been stuck with two needles. But yeah. If we keep this up, the chest catheter will be out within the next ten days. Please. Please. Please. And please. /cross fingers

Yes, I am a big ole kid. Let me explain. I still watch cartoons. I've been watching cartoons all my life. My preference is classic Warner Brothers Looney Toons, but the new Looney Toon iterations are entertaining, true to character, and sufficiently updated. I watch Cartoon Network. Yes, I like Adventure Time and The Regular Show. How can you not be taken in by a show that features a blue jay, a raccoon, a yeti, a gumball machine and a ghost with a hand on its head? Lol. I watch Phineas and Ferb on the Disney Channel. Dd you know that the Phineas and Ferb producer worked on Rocko's Modern Life and also on Family Guy? iPod shuffled to "Slide", Jill Scott and Jeff Bradshaw. The trombone makes the song. Sliiiiiiide, "When Mr Trombone Slides".

That being said, I am also a gamer. I started off playing pinball machines as a teen. When video games came around, you could find me and my friends in arcades mastering Pacman, Galaga, Berzerk, Centipede, or any number of games. No I didn't like Asteroids or Defenders. ;-( Brian and I bonded over Q-Bert and Tapper ( a game where you had to catch beer steins at the beer fest lol lol). Once married, we played text based adventure games. Then we played Sierra games. One game came with a disk that featured online playing with other people. This was 20 years ago. Via dial up. AOL. The game was available for 4 hours a night. The portal was The ImagiNation Network. You logged on and you went to a " lounge". You created a graphical character. Then you could play a number of games, including a flight simulator and an adventure game. I chose the adventure game, "The Shadows of Yserbius". A gamer was born. "Can't Forget About You", Nas and Chrisette Michelle.
Loved her voice the first time I heard it and of course, I enjoy Nas's lyrics.


Brian and I played Shadows, joined a guild and made online friends from all over the country. Wow. The game was turn based and quite primitive but at that time, it was fabulous and the key component was the creation on an online community. My favorite memory was when the next version came out, Fates of Twinion, I hadn't received my disk. Yes, disk, this was a few years before updates were pushed out via the internet. Heck, if Google existed, it was just a baby. Remember we were on AOL. Lol. A guild member from Texas, sent me a copy via overnight. Lol. Pirate software anyone? The friendships lasted a while, even moving to the next game, The Realm. Yes, it was also a Sierra creation, but it was online gaming 2.0. And The Realm is where this story is going. The tie in? It goes back to friends. :). I've made virtual friends online who have become real friends and real good friends. ;-) And I know people who have met online and are now married and have been married for a while, going back to my AOL game. How about that!!



Signing off with a teaser photo of some good friends and The Dells, "Stay in My Corner". Lol. That song makes me go look for Brian to get in a good slow dance. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment