Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, May 31, 2013

The "I'm Walking a Mile on Sunday to Help Fight Kidney Disease",edition.

iPod shuffled to "Stay", The Dells. RIP Marvin Junior and his magnificent voice. He died from kidney failure. :-(   I realize I am just a few missed dialysis treatments away from death. *sigh*.  Well, I have no intention of missing any. I hope to get on the transplant list by June. Even then, the waiting list for Michigan is over 2600. There is a priority list. So the good news is I'm doing pretty good.  So by my doing pretty good means that I'm probably not a priority transplant candidate. Ah well.

So I've got my new fistula. I go to dialysis the next day. Doc and others check it out. See, when you touch my arm, you can fell a buzz..you better feel it!!  It still freaks me out, but it is my lifeline.  I also  have a red rubber kidney I have to squeeze with my left hand to strengthen my fistula.  (See photo). "You Can Make It If You Try", Sly and the Family Stone. I also wore out the grooves on every Sly album lol. Props to Larry Graham funk bass.   

Staff checks fistula on Friday. It's going strong. I may touch it. The idea of this buzzing, vibrating going on in arm is just so repulsive. :-(   It gets checked on Monday. Still going. I go to vascular surgeon on Wednesday. It's not buzzing. Damn. Doc schedules me for surgery the next day. *sigh*. The fistula clotted. Yay blood. :-(  Doc gives me a megadose of blood thinner and I'm back at the hospital at 9 the next morning for round 2. I'm a little pissed off.  We had planned to go out to dinner. This was going to be my first excursion out of the house that wasn't some sort of medical appointment. I had a birthday deal from Texas de Brazil (meat heaven).  So instead on my birthday, I'm recuperating. Just like I was for my 25th wedding anniversary. :-(   Hmmm lots of frownies today. We know it goes better :-)

"I Say A Little Prayer", Aretha Franklin. Exquisite voice. I keep going because I got thangs to do. :-)  I get my Christmas shopping done entirely online. I speak to Dad daily. Once a week he calls from moms nursing home so we can talk to each other. Her voice is getting weaker and weaker each week, but she can still manage an "I love you, baby". :-). I think we both feel better after that.  I worry about Dad out in Vegas alone, but he is focused on Mom and that keeps him busy. I ask what he's eating. After a few days I realizing he's eating a lot of kielbasa.  I need to explain that my mom did all grocery shopping and cooking. My dad didn't know jack about grocery shopping. Lol lol. He found 10 pounds of kielbasa on sale and went with a bag of potatoes and bags of salad.  Long story short, Omaha Steaks offers prepared meals and food. All you need to to is nuke it or put it in the oven.  I ordered him a variety of meals.  Oh yeah, he'd also get pizzas and KFC.  And wondered why he was gaining weight. Lol. 

"Feels Good", Rahsaan Patterson. So mellow and relaxing. It feels good!!  (Excuse me while I laugh at my bad joke - lol lol ). So I'm trying plan Christmas at home and making sure Mom and Dad are going to be ok. Vegas is so very far when you use a walker. Somehow everything gets done. Shawn and Brian are just wonderful in assisting me. :-)

Signing off with "You Are The Sunshine of My Life", Stevie Wonder. Happy song. :-). I'll give a final update on the Zoo Walk on Monday. I will tell you that we've exceeded our goal!!!  I can't thank my sponsors enough. Know that I love you and appreciate you. <3.  I hope to see some walkers with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment