Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, May 17, 2013

The "More Friends and Family, Oh My!", edition.

iPod shuffled to "I'll Be Around", The Spinners. My favorite Spinners song. :-)  So yeah, two needles attached to tubing, attached to the dialysis machine moving blood in and out on my left arm and a blood pressure cuff on my right arm while I'm doing the one hand typing trick. Left arm immobile...right arm getting choked every thirty minutes. It's all good. Besides, all my regular techs and nurses are here today. Today is a good day (paraphrasing Ice Cube - lol).

"Knights in White Satin", The Moody Blues. In high school, I though this was such a beautiful song. Today?  I still like it, but it is a bit maudlin. Lol.  So last Friday, Brian and I executed the open house plan. After he picked me up from dialysis, we headed to a bakery in Farmington for tea sandwiches (Mrs Maddox).  We ate breakfast, then it was home to rest, except I got sidetracked by the catheter removal.  By the time that was over, it was time to go to Costco.  

Once at Costco, we knew our route. First to produce..fruit tray, veggie tray. Then some wine.  Head over to the deli, pick up turkey wraps and sandwich fixins' tray.  Pick up a tub o' dip.  Go get a case of water, then a bag of chicken wings. Brian wanted me to make some hot honey wings. It's hard to say no to him. <3   "I Say a Little Prayer", Aretha Franklin. So how many singers can sound good for so long?  She's all talent.  We finish up with the biggest bag of Ruffles chips that I've ever seen. Ooh ooh, "So In Love", Jill Scott featuring Anthony Hamilton. Love both voices and the lyrics. (I can sing them Brian.. ).  I crash when we get home because I'm always beat on dialysis. I just wasn't able to break until stuff got done. 

Saturday Shawn picks up the ice and the mini cupcakes. Brian starts the chicken, I decorate and set up the table. Once the chicken is baked, I make the sauce, put chicken in the crockpots (yes crockpots - a Costco bag of chicken wings is 10 pounds!!), add the sauce and let them make the house smell good. :-). We're ready. 

Guests start arriving around 2:15. It was set up for people to come and go at their convenience. People stayed. Lol. I know I enjoyed it. Brian took photos of everyone with Shawn. Did I mention when she got her  official letter from Wayne State, it said she graduated Cum Laude?  My mom would have been beside herself with pride and joy.  

Our friends and family ate, drank and were quite merry. Somehow a German chocolate cake will be made in August. People found out exactly where Champaign-Urbana Illinois is ( 2-3 hours south of Chicago in the middle of nowhere).  We found out about green smoothies.  Detroit politics were debated. And we ate.  And ate. Lol. The last guests left around 9:30 (lol the invite said 2 to 8). We were having that much fun. Oh yeah, dad was there greeting and eating too. :-D. 

Next up?  The National Kidney Foundation Zoo walk.  I still got thangs' to do   :-)     Signing off with "Summer Madness", Kool and the Gang. Lol. I wasn't sure what synthesizer was back then. I wondered what instrument hit those notes?   

No comments:

Post a Comment