Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, September 15, 2014

The "Don't Be a Fooled By My Photos. I Still Have ESRD", edition.

iPad shuffled to Kool and the Gang, "Summer Madness". Some songs stand the test of time. This is one. And oh yeah. I prefer this era of Kool and the gang.  In case you forgot. ESRD = End Stage Renal Disease. My kidneys don't work. I have to go to dialysis 3 days a week to get an artificial kidney to remove a fraction of toxins from my body. Remember your native kidneys work 168 hours per week. My fake kidney works 10.5 hours a week.  Your kidneys work 157.5 more hours than mine. And your's work continuously.

The Main Ingredient, "Spinning Around". My body can't get rid of all the toxins I take in. I take meds to help remove some. I have to watch my intake of potassium ( yes I haven't had a banana or avocado in almost 2 years ). Too much potassium and I can have a heart attack. I have to watch my phosphourous ( chocolate, milk, cheese, beans, ice cream, colas, and nuts). Too much phosphorus and I lose bone health and again, a heart attack.  Oh and the dialysis treatment is quite hard on the heart.  It's not uncommon for patients to have heart attacks during treatment. 

The Doors, "Light My Fire". My past 2 treatments, my blood pressure did the dip dance. I normally run between 120-145/70-90.  Wednesday I went 90/59.  Friday I dropped to 93/68. We got my pressure up enough to leave. The center says 95/70 is within acceptable range. I actually have no argument with that. Except it can't be universal for  all patients. Those numbers are too low for me. But I see patients who stay there. My tech got it though. She went to bat for me with the nurse. :-)   I know when I'm crashing and ask for saline. A little salt brings the pressure back up. Plus I carry salt packs in my purse. 

Aerosmith, "Crazy".  So with all that being said, I savor and enjoy every minute of my life. I may die in 5 minutes. I may live for 30 years. The reality of death walking behind me is quite real. On the days when I crash, those days end up bring lost days. This past Friday was a wash. Got out, went to breakfast. Home by 11:00 AM and slept the rest of the day...and that night. :-(  The photos you see of me come on days I don't have treatment.  I get to enjoy life on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I have no guarantees for Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But hold up. This should change when I start doing home hemo. Should start training next month. Yay!  See how I brought that back to fairly hopeful?  And no I'm not going down the rabbit hole. Those Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays are damn good days.  And all dialysis days aren't horrific.  :) 

Bel, Biv, Devoe, "Poison". Don't you just want to start dancing when this song starts?  So I start my new chair time today. 5:00 AM. Be at the center at 4:45!!  I have a different tech, but the new one treated me when I was visiting. And my previous tech is right across from me. All is well.  

Signing out with The Dramatics, "Welcome Back Home. Photos are of the condo complex and maybe more of us swimming. I am a water baby.  Love swimming. Brian and I used to be lifeguards for the Detroit Recreation Department. He was at Rouge Park with the Olympic size pool and 5 meter platform. I was at neighborhood centers. Max depth of 5 feet, but always chock full of kids.  :-)  And we started Shawn's lessons when she was 2. We were at a pool party. My diaper clad toddler saw us in the pool and jumped right on in!!  Yikes!!!  Lol. We got her out and said,  "No" or something. She laughed and jumped right back in.  Lessons at the Y started that next Saturday!!  Lol. Have a great day. 

Oh yeah. It's kinda odd sweltering here, high today is 102 and being told the temp in Detroit was in the 40s. I'm so sorry. ;-).  Oh guess what just started playing?  " Hot in Herre", Nelly!!!  Roflmoa. Erm. 6AM. 81 degrees. 






2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean, Pat. I don't take one second for grant I anymore. I know what may be over my shoulder, but I might live many more years to come. I'm thankful for all the extra time that I get and soak up every minute with as much enjoyment and fulfillment as possible. Do what you do, girl and enjoy it to the utmost!!! I love you. You're my she-ro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Ms pat f. I can fully understand why you left the Big D. The smile on your face tells it all. Beautiful surroundings. Enjoy every minute of it. Miss you! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete