Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, September 1, 2014

The "Why Didn't You Tell Me About New Orleans Sooner?", edition.

iPad volume was on max!  Yikes. iPad shuffled to Steely Dan, "Do it Again". I think the volume was on high to cut through the noise on the airplane. Sometimes I didn't think the music was loud enough.  That's what happens on long flights, I guess. Lol. Yep, New Orleans this past weekend. And yeah, I'm gonna start how we got there.

Sometime in late June/early July I get a note in the mail from my sister in law, Cassandra, announcing that we'll be celebrating my mother in law's, Rose,  birthday in New Orleans this year. It's her 80th birthday. Ok. We've never celebrated the birthday anywhere but Detroit before, but when asked what she wanted to do for her birthday, Rose said she wanted to go to New Orleans. You know that Brian and I don't need to be convinced to travel.  And we'd never been to New Orleans. We were all in. 

DMX, "Party Up (All in Here). And yes, I have a story about this song in New Orleans. Later. Lol. So anyway. The letter from Cassandra had the dates, the hotel, a tour and an itinerary. I called her the conductor as she orchestrated the trip. :-)  Anyway I had just finalized our reservations for the Denver trip. I looked at my credit card and apologized profusely. My credit card gave me the stink eye.  Remember, we are trying to finish up the moving and selling of the house. And yes, we had to get Shawn there from Champaign, Illinois.  She was in the process of finishing her job in Springfield and was moving into a new apartment in Champaign and had to complete a paper and presentation about the discoveries at the site in Springfield. Oh yeah. And her classes started that last week in August. Whew. Somehow everything got done. But no more travel for a while. Lol. 

Ramsay Lewis, Earth, Wind and Fire, "Sun Goddess".  Two weeks after we return from Denver, we're heading for New Orleans. Southwest again. We're getting used to open seating. As they move the customers in using cattle prods. "Moooooo". I got a non-stop flight there, but no non stops on the way back.  What's up with that?  Lol. We stop in Houston, the flight is less than an hour. Layover about an hour. It's good. Look. Whatever anxieties I've had about flying are null and void now lol. Yay!!!  

Shawn's flight was not as easy. She can fly out of Chicago,Indianapolis, or St. Louis. The distance is pretty much the same for all three cities to Champaign Urbana. Champaign has a shuttle to O'Hare, but timing was an issue. Who wants to get there and have to wait 6 or more hours before a flight. We went the least expensive which was St. Louis. She drove there and caught the plane. Her flight was in the morning.  She made it!!!  Geez. My kid is grown. Lol. And yes, she is back safe and sound in Champaign now.  :). 

The birthday festivities started on Thursday. My family arrived on Friday. Shawn because of school and Brian and I because of dialysis. Eh, what are you gonna do. I dialyzed on my normal day, Wednesday, the went back on Thursday. I'm back today. 4 days without treat. The longest I've ever gone. 4 days!!!  I actually felt ok.  I watched my fluid intake, even though the humidity was hellish. I gained 5 kilograms over the 4 day period. That's 11 pounds of fluid gain. Now don't panic. That's less than 1.5 kg per day which is pretty good. It's just it was so long before treatment. 

Signing off with Kashif, "Help Yourself to My Love".  I had a bad night. I'm not sure why. I feel better, but sure was looking forward to dialysis.  Lol. Who says that?  Rofl. More coming and I think I finish it up in a week. We have lots of adventures and photos.  And oh yeah, when we called dad from Houston he infers us the refrigerator died. We're spending Labor Day refrigerator shopping!  Lol. Have a great holiday. I'm going to look for ribs.  I have an idea where I'm going thanks to " Diners, Drive-ins and Dives"   ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment