Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Thursday, May 19, 2016

The " Martha's Vineyard Trip", edition.

Good Thursday morning.  Brian has left for Crossfit and I'm watching the news.  So I was thinking about the time we went to Martha's Vineyard. Mom and Dad had gone several times before they moved to Las Vegas.  They made Martha's Vineyard sound interesting. Plus, I'd never been east of New York.  I don't recall how it was brought up but somehow we planned a family trip. Mom made the reservations for our lodging on the island. I made the reservations for the minivan and hotels along the way. And Dad planned out the route. Yeah. I liked traveling with my parents. We picked up a Chrysler van with New Hampshire plates and we were off to Martha's Vineyard!!

Our route took us though Canada, via Port Huron and Saline. Canada highway 402 to highway 401 eventually making our way to cross back into the United States through Buffalo, New York. I don't remember what city we stopped in for the night. It may have been Buffalo.  I do remember the next night we stopped outside of Boston. And McDonald's had lobster rolls (!). I digress. The morning we left Boston, we had about a 3 hour drive to Woods Hole, MA to catch the ferry to Martha's Vineyard.  Yes, Martha's Vineyard is an island. 

Dad had made reservations for the ferry, so we were on a timeline to get to the dock.  We made it with lots of time to spare. We stopped at a store and picked up some wine and snacks and waited to board the ferry. When the time came, dad drove the car on to the ferry. We got out and went to the upper deck.  Got some good seats and enjoyed the 45 minute ride to the island. We arrived on the island and  it felt as if whatever stress you may have had just disappeared. 

We drove to our residence for the week, which was a bed and breakfast. A large 3 story house with an enclosed huge wrap around porch. Mom and Dads room was on the first floor.  Brian, Shawn and I had a suite on the second floor. Two bedrooms and a huge bathroom. The biggest claw foot tub I'd ever seen in an enormous bathroom. We were maybe a quarter mile from "town", Oak Bluffs.  We had breakfast every morning at the B&B, but we at lunch and dinner in restaurants on the island. There are several towns on the island and we visited them during our visit. I had lobster bisque at every meal.  Lol. Shawn was on a Caesar salad kick, so that's what she had. We all had our fair share of seafood. We noticed that there were no chain restaurants on the island. 

We had a delightful time. We visited the only vineyard on the island. We visit the doll houses. We went to  Edgartown, near Chappaquidick. We visited a cliff area where you can look out over the water...and the nude beach(!). Brian, Shawn and I spent some time on a beach. Yes, the water was cold. We stayed a week. Shortest week in history.  It was time to take the ferry back. But. Dad didn't make reservations for the return ferry trip. Uh oh. We ended up staying an additional night. And we had to be at the dock by 6 AM to get one of the few openings on the ferry. Well Mom and Dad were able to stay the night in their room at the B&B, but our suite had been booked. We got moved to the 3rd floor....that had no bathroom. And yes, I had to go up and down the stairs in the middle of the night to go. Lol. 

Anyway.  We got on the ferry the next morning and headed back home. We stopped at Niagara Falls for a few hours. It was impressive. We ate at Red Lobster in London, Ontario. Went through Windsor, passed a restaurant called "Crabby Dicks" (!) which caused my child to giggle. Lol. And finally returned home. Yes. It rates in one of my best trips/vacations ever. I'd never had more fun doing nothing!  And I was with my family. :-). Maybe one day we'll return. 

So dialysis. My blood pressure is low...go figure.  So at my monthly care team meeting, my nephrologist prescribed some meds to increase it. Lol. 2 years ago I was on meds to lower my blood pressure. Kidney failure really messes with you. My body can't regulate worth anything anymore. Heed my warning. Take care of your kidneys. 

That's it for today. Time for a haircut. And high temperatures in the mid 80s, it's unseasonably cool here. Lol. Have a great day!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment