Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The "Still in Georgia..Almost Done", edition.

Good Wednesday morning. Time to get back into the swing of things here at home. And yes I did treatment Tuesday morning. I think it's strange that even though I absolutely hate dialysis, sometimes I look forward to doing it and getting it over with.  I clearly understand what happens if I miss treatment.  I don't like missing a day of treatment. And I don't like when other patients miss treatment. I know that their missing treatment is of no concern to me, but I worry about them. I also understand that "we" just get tired of doing this. I had to jump through a lot of hoops just to visit my child for a few days. I digress.  Monday night Brian started the dialysate prepping process..it takes several hours. Tuesday morning he found a plumber who was working on another unit to help get the dialysis machine to the apartment. Lol. Yay for assorted workmen around the condo!!  

Ok Sunday in Georgia. We got up and immediately started prepping for treatment. This time I sat at the table to insert the needles into my arm. I had no room for error. I had no more spare needles. And I could not miss a day. Jackpot!!  That venous needle went right in. Talk about a relieved Pat!  Went back to the bedroom, Brian hooked me up and I ran for about 3 hours. During that time Shawn had a light breakfast...Brian and I ate before we started. We planned on lunch for Fathers Day.  We found a restaurant in downtown Augusta, Whiskey Bar and Kitchen. While looking for restaurants, it seems a lot aren't open on Sunday in Augusta! Anyway. We headed back downtown. And perhaps the rest of the city was quiet, but downtown Augusta for Sunday brunch/lunch was jumping. 

We were seated, we passed on the mimosas and bloody Mary's, but did order the buffalo chicken dip (yum).  And we all got hamburgers. Shawn and I got burgers with pimento cheese and chili ..with waffle fries. Brian got a breakfast burger...hamburger with egg and bacon..with onion rings. A bit messy. Lol. I couldn't finish my burger..and Shawn ended up boxing all of the french fries to take with her. 

We left the restaurant and headed to the car. This guy walked past us and I noticed he was carrying something that looked good. I stopped him and asked him what it was. It was a banana pudding cake. And that's exactly what it looked like!  He directed us to the bakery in the next block. And we headed there. The name of the place is Sweets on Main. The tables in front were full and there was a steady stream of people going in. We sent Shawn in. She got a slice of the banana pudding cake and 2 cupcakes. One was a key lime cupcake.  Did I mention it was a local Black owned business? Did I mention that they just opened this month? Did I mention the banana pudding cake was devine?  

Our next stop was a grocery store. You know we always get groceries for the kid. This time the challenge was she has no kitchen. She is staying in a hotel room with a microwave and a refrigerator. In a small town...a village. Once we started looking, there are quite a few options for microwaves.  Also there are the bags of tuna. Some cold cuts. And produce.  She also has all of the produce stands nearby so she can offset the processed microwaveable food with fresh fruits and veggies. Oh yeah. She took the left over tomato and cucumber salad back with her. (I seasoned the salad with salt and pepper packs I scarfed from the breakfast area!) 

We headed back to our hotel so Shawn could pack up her stuff. And she helped Brian pack up the dialysis machine and put it in the car. We then headed to Edgefield. We hadn't seen Shawn's room on Friday. This time we went to her room...on the 2nd floor... as we helped unload the groceries. We spent about an hour there with her, then it was time to go. We wanted to make sure we started back to Augusta before it got dark. We hugged and kissed and said our goodbyes and lamented at how quickly the time passed. And yes, I started missing her as soon as we drove off :-(  

We headed back. Stopped at Bojangles to see what that was about. I was very underwhelmed. Bojangles is a fast food chicken and biscuit restaurant. But I probably was still kinda full from the giant hamburger I had earlier in the day. Went back to the hotel watched the basketball game and then went to bed.  We would pack in the morning. We had time to spare. Checkout time was noon. Our flight out of Atlanta was at 6:00 PM. The drive from Augusta to Atlanta is about 2.5 hours. 

That's it for today. I know I know. It's almost over. One more Georgia entry. And then it's  back to life, back to reality....stay cool and enjoy your day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment