Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The "Salmagundi", edition

Good Thursday morning!  Who remembers salmagundi?  No, it's not the name of a person.  Well maybe there is a Sal Magundi out there somewhere. Anyway. Back in the day I was that kid that watched Channel 56, the PBS channel in Detroit. I got the word salmagundi from watching the telethons. There would be categories of items...fashion, travel, restauranrs, etc. and the there was the salmagundi category. I had to look up the word. And thanks PBS..always making sure we were learning no matter what the programming. So what is the definition of salmagundi?  There are 2. The first is - a salad plate of chopped meats, anchovies, eggs and vegetables arranged in rows for contrast and a salad dressing. The second is -  A heterogeneous mixture : potpourri.  So even though definition one sounds tasty, it's the second definition that I'm using today. A potpourri of topics, salmagundi. 

I'm doing ok with my workouts, but Tuesday I had trouble breathing. I don't know why. And I mean the "I wish I had  oxygen nearby" trouble breathing. WTH?  And I don't think what  I was doing was extremely strenuous. Wall lunges, wall  push aways, resistance weight pulls....I eventually felt better and continued. I was frightened while it was occurring. I'll be asking about it today at my monthly checkup. It has never happened at the previous sessions nor had it happened during deep water fitness. 

My trainer also has me adjusting how I eat. Cutting out snacks isn't so bad so far. It's the eat something every 3-4-5 hours that's an issue. I'm not hungry. I guess I need to eat smaller meals?  And yes, I am keeping a food journal. Sometimes I have to push back on foods, particularly whole grains or high potassium, like avocado. But avocado deviled eggs do sound tasty. 

After deep water fitness on Monday, Wednesday, Friday we may go to breakfast. Las Vegas - Henderson area has a lot of breakfast restaurants. Yesterday we stopped at an Omelet House not to far from the aquatic center. This place uses 4 eggs in the omelet. I learned a while ago to ask for a baby omelet. That has only 3 eggs. :-/  And they serve home made potato chips. And you have a choice of pumpkin bread or banana nut bread in addition to toast, English muffin and biscuit. I ordered a baby Denver omelet. And the banana nut bread. I ate about a third of the the bread. And about a third of the omelet. Both were good, but I got full. There is no need to serve that much food. Oh. And as we're paying we noticed a photo of two of the items they feature. The monster omelet..uses 12 eggs and includes almost everything in it. And the monster burger, a 3 pound hamburger. And that's without the bun and fixin's. It had been a while since we'd been to an Omelet House. I now remember why. 

Shawn made it safely to South Carolina. She drove alone and had to stop over night. Of course we were concerned but she was pretty good at communicating with us. We will be visiting her next week. And yes, it was at her request. We've been visiting her in the spring since she's been living in Illinois. What happens is the visit takes us to sites she is working at. Like Springfield. This time it's Edgefield, SC. We'll be staying in Augusta, GA. It's about 25 miles away. Shawn wants us to visit the dig site and we will. She's instructed us on what we need to wear, so we will be prepared. We talked last night and she's excited. She will be a lead on this project. Oh. And as always her lodging is included, but this time she has to provide her food. She's staying at a hotel..and they do serve breakfast, but she is on her own for other meals. At least the hotel room has a refrigerator and microwave. A mini-fridge. Lol. 

Last night we went to the pool and jacuzzi. It was around 100 degrees at 10PM, but there was a nice breeze. Go to the pool first. This time since we went a while after the sun set, the water wasn't real warm. It was...nice. Then the jacuzzi. Bask in the warm water jets. Then finish up back in the pool.   Lol that relaxes you just before bedtime. And yes, I slept well last night. 

Finally, I need to shop for some stuff at Trader Joe's. Per my trainer. On the dialysis front, I mentioned that my monthly team meeting is today. I got my labs and phosphorus has spiked. I'm at a loss as to why. I may have an idea, but I'm not looking forward to everybody chastising me. You know, I'm grown. I get it. Geez. Well it's still hot here. And since we're not at 109 anymore, we're not at a heat advisory. We're going down to 106!!!  Whoo hoo let's celebrate!!  Lol. Anyway. Have a wonderful day.  
:-) 

Yes I am doing this. 



These do look good. As long as I don't go overboard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment