Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Sunday, June 5, 2016

The "Getting Fit and More", edition.

Good Sunday morning!  Yesterday, on my way home from sorority meeting I noticed the car thermometer read 109 (!).  My drive home takes me down Las Vegas Blvd between downtown and the strip. I turn off Las Vegas Blvd before I hit the strip. But the area between downtown and strip is always interesting. The pawn shop where  Pawn Stars is filmed is there, along with 648 wedding chapels. Well. Maybe not quite that many. Anyway. The Pawn Stars shop is always busy. And sure enough, even though it was 109 degrees, there was a line of people waiting (in the wretched sun) to get in....and more people coming. You just know the "stars" of the show aren't there on Saturdays...or Sundays. There's a whole tourist industry just based on that pawn shop!  

So.  Getting fit. I've realized I've gone backwards in feeling phyically well. Since I was ill late last summer and fall, I'm crazy weak, my stamina is nonexistent and my blood pressure is low. I can't stand for long periods of time. I'm not sure I'd be able to do the zoo walk anymore. :-(  I don't like this. Even grocery shopping is a challenge. *sigh*. I am doing better in deep water fitness. It's not wearing me out as much. I still thought I needed more. 

Brian started Crossfit a few months ago. He had me come and watch. I think he wanted me to join the group. The trainer wanted me join. Crossfit looked way to intense and difficult to me, but I though I'd be able to ease into it with modified routines. I mentioned Crossfit to my doctor. She chuckled and said maybe eventually. Lol. I was actually relieved. But I still needed the activity. A gym doesn't do it for me. At least not yet. I decided to research personal trainers. I found one that sounded promising. Tony Cress.  He has a gym in Henderson. 

Three weeks ago we stopped at the gym in the home from deep water fitness. The front of the gym is all window and a guy greeted us with a smile as we entered. He introduced himself, Tony Cress. I explained why I was there and why I wanted a personal trainer. And what my limitations were being on dialysis regarding my renal diet. He says he has just the trainer for me.  He immediately calls her and she shows up within 5 minutes!  I mean she drives up!  We're Introduced to Gaylynn. Tony explains my needs to her and she accepts the challenge. I am to come back the next week. 

So. I show up on Friday, after deep water fitness, expecting an evaluation. Gaylynn greets me with a hug and yes I got the evaluation  and binder with a chart of foods that are identified as best, better, good, fair and questionable...and pages of photos and directions of some exercises. But wait. There's more!  We get started with the workout!  That's fine except I'm not dressed for it...meaning I'm wearing sandals. And not wearing workout clothes. ..and I'm whipped from an hour of deep water fitness....Patty, the deep water fitness instructor, decided we needed to do a marathon that Friday.  But. I go ahead and start my first workout with my personal trainer. My routines didn't seem that difficult...until I started the repetitions. OMG. That wore me out!  Lol. But I did it with minimal whining. At the end of the session, Gaylynn stretched me out. Feels good! And instructed me to keep a food journal. And we schedule my days for Thursdays so I don't come in on the same day as deep water fitness. 

So this past Thursday I arrive dressed to work out and I have my food journal. We go over that. I'm to switch out my bagels for English muffin, cut out soda...I don't drink that much anyway. And most of what I ate was fine..although she frowned at my baked beans, but acknowledged it was at a picnic. I also need to write down the the times I eat. Then we got started. And again I am dismayed at how easily I get tired doing the repetitions. I am supposed to do these exercises at home 2-3 times a week...not on the days we swim. And..she videoed me with my phone doing the exercises so I have a record of what to do and so Brian can coach me. 

The time seemed to go pretty fast. And I whined and Gaylynn pushed. And I did what she asked. And the odd thing is afterwards I felt pretty good and had a sense of accomplishment. I'm going to like this personal trainer thing. And here's a bonus. Brian can join me and he'll get his own workout plan...for no extra cost!  Woot!  

There are other people working out in the gym while we're there. Tony is also there working with other people. Equipment all around the gym. Some of that stuff looks intimidating!  Lol. And yes, Brian comes with me. His choice. Remember, he's my helicopter husband! Lol. And. Tony has a big ole Iowa Hawkeyes banner on the wall. I walked in on Thursday singing "Hail to the victors!"  Rofl. And oh yeah. Gaylynn is originally from Michigan...Lapeer!  And of course I know where Lapeer is. My cousin lived in Lapeer and we drove through Lapeer getting to the cottage!  Small small world isn't it?  And. Gaylynn trains the gospel singer we saw at the House of Blues Gospel Brunch, Patty Pennington...who's from Detroit. Lol. It's a small world after all!  

Oh yeah. Brian did Crossfit yesterday and he wanted to go to the jacuzzi. No question we were going to go once the sun went down. I wanted to go around midnight when the temps finally got into the low 80s. He dragged me out at 8. Temp dropped to 102.  :-/  I opted out of the hot tub and went into the pool. The pool water was lukewarm!  Lol. I can imagine how warm it must have been during the day. I did go into the hot tub for a moment, but then we went back to the pool. Night time swimming is kinda nice. ;-)  

That's it for today. The whole workout thing IS the dialysis angle. Trying to build up my strength. This has got to be a positive by me feeling better and functioning better. Have a great day. I think we're just gonna get up to 107 today!  Whoo hoo!! Lol? 


My trainer, Gaylynn

Tony 

No comments:

Post a Comment