Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Thursday, June 23, 2016

The "Leaving Georgia:Returning to Las Vegas", edition.

Good Friday morning. We are back home and just never missed a beat. Deep water fitness Wednesday and a little grocery shopping. Thursday we went to the trainer.  No. Thursday is not our regular day with the fitness trainer, Tuesday is. However, this past Tuesday because of the trip,and a missed day of treatment, I couldn't go. I needed to get the treatment done. The trainer had us come in at 8AM this morning. She worked us like we never missed a beat.  Lol. The trainer workouts are much more intense than the deep water fitness. She works with me and Brian together, but we definitely do two different workouts!  

So. The last day in Georgia, Monday. We ate a leisure breakfast at the hotel. The breakfast at this hotel was different from others I'd experienced.  There were selections of microwave breakfast items such as cheese omelet, breakfast sandwiches, breakfast bowls, etc. There was a number on the package and you just select that number on the microwave and go. Of course as I was waiting on my item some guy pops open the microwave to cook his food. :-/  He didn't realize the microwave was on (of course) and I must have just been standing there twiddling my thumbs. I digress. There was also the obligatory waffle machine, yogurt and other selections. By the way, I thought the microwave food didn't taste all that good. Lol. Like bad airplane food. I ended up eating bagels. 

After we ate we packed and pulled out around 11:00. Got gas and headed back to Atlanta. So much green!! Trees!  Grass!   And kudzu!! Driving into Atlanta the traffic picked up considerably. The rental company map wanted us to get on on a certain freeway then look for the signs to the airport.  Then start looking for signs to the car rental return. Before we got there, we stopped to fill the tank. So we follow the signs and get to the massive car rental place. We pull into the Enterprise area. They check in the car and give me the receipt. I must say that as far as cost of rentals, Enterprise is consistently lower. . So now our challenge was going to be how to get the dialysis machine to the terminal. Remember on the way there, we put it on the wheelchair while  riding the tram. So I asked an Enterprise rep about a wheelchair. She says the airport had just come to collect the wheelchairs, but... Talk to Lincoln.  Enterprise will take us directly to the terminal!  !!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about an excited, grateful Pat!  I gave Lincoln a great big hug! 

Brian had taken everything out of the car except for the dialysis machine. I told him to put everything back in. Sure enough, "Ace" drove us straight to the Delta area. A clerk named Brian (!) helped us and a wheelchair was waiting for me when we got there..outside!  We went to the counter inside because of the medical equipment, got it checked in and then got ready to head for the gate. Oh yeah. On the way, Big Boi from Outkast strolled by. We're in Atlanta y'all! 

We get to gate around 2:00 and now we wait. Our flight was at 6:00. I notice signs that direct people to the Delta Sky Club. I check to see if first class gets you into the Sky Club. It does not. Sky Club requires a yearly membership...or a daily pass. Brian goes to the Sky Club to ask about it and gets the cost of the daily pass...and what it includes. It includes comfortable seating, wifi, a buffet, lots of TVs and an open bar and a whole area we didn't go see. We go for it. I recommend using the Sky Club if you have a long layover in the airport. We let the concierge know I'd need a wheelchair to get back to the gate. About 10 minutes before we were to board, I was paged. We went to the desk, a lady with a cart was waiting for us! !!! !!!! Again, if you have a significant layover in an airport, this is the way to go. 

Time to board. Got my Bloody Mary while waiting to take off. We had a newer plane, so we each had our own monitors with a crapload of movies, satellite TV, radio, games..and outlets to recharge stuff. I watched Deadpool. :-D  Even dinner was ok this time. Chicken with spring veg. And strawberry gelato.  and the flight was perfect. No bouncing on this flight or the flight to Georgia. 

We arrive. A young man is waiting at the gate with a wheelchair for me. We get to the luggage carousel. Dad is waiting for us!  We get our luggage. And bless Deltas heart. They put the 100 pound dialysis machine on the carousel. Lol. WTH?  But the young man grabbed that 100 pound box with one arm and heaved it right off the carousel. Rofl. What was even more entertaining were the people trying to get out of his way. Lol lol. Anyway. He found a person with a cart for the dialysis machine....and the rest of the luggage. We all headed outside to get to the car. Dad always parks in the same area at the airport. For years!!  I had my luggage parade again.  The guys loaded the car.  I tipped them well. And we headed home.  And oh yeah. We stepped outside the airport and it was 113 degrees!  Yikes!  But I preferred this to the humidity of Georgia. I'm home and I'm acclimated to the desert!  

The dialysis angle?  Well just the logistics of attempting to dialyze while traveling. Trying to keep my life as normal as I can. I cannot be spontaneous. But I'm not chained to a center. And I have some control over my life. And all things considered, I'm ok with this. That's it for today. Yeah..I'm planning my next trip. I'll detail my challenges in a later blog. 

Oh yeah. Before you travel..Delta. Check Groupon for a day pass to the Sky Club! 

Have a great day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment