Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, July 25, 2016

The "Two Years in Las Vegas", edition.

Good Monday morning!  Two years ago today I flew out to Las Vegas on a one way ticket.  I'd say we've settled in quite nicely. We're kind of acclimating to the desert summers. We can discern the difference between 102 degrees and 112 degrees. And believe me, there is a difference!  No complaints. Shawn and I were talking about the weather and she chuckled at me. I told her she'd change her mind in February. <wicked evil grin>

Dad wanted to go to Zydecos for our Sunday brunch/lunch yesterday.  Zydecos did not disappoint. I usually get the shrimp po boy. This time I decided to try something else. And oh yeah. The last time we were there, Chef Brandon had us try boudin balls. OMG. So good. Anyway. This time I tried the red beans and rice. I ordered a small. Lol. Small my ass. If that bowl was small, I'm afraid to see what the large portion is!  So my mistake was ordering the boudin balls and the small red beans and rice. You get three boudin balls per order. I took 2 balls home. 

Anyway. The red beans and rice. Soo good. Big chunks of sausage. We're eating and Chef Brandon comes out to check on us. He chuckles as he commented that he manages to ask his customers about the food when they're mouths are full. We were no exception!  I commented that the red beans and rice were delicious. And that I couldn't make mine that good. And I like my red beans and rice!  Chef Brandon smiled and the said use the best sausage you can find.  And that he uses the left over bits and juices from his bone-in ham that he uses for other dishes in the red beans. I kinda felt honored that he shared his tip with us. But I guess he knew I wasn't  going to ever cook a bone in ham. lol. I don't even get that large a ham for the holidays from Honey Baked!  I'll fix my own red beans and rice and like them and when I want a treat, I'll get his red beans and rice. 

Dad opted out of the catfish po boy and got a catfish basket. Lol. Why bother with bread and vegetables?  Lol. He got so much catfish he couldn't finish it all. And believe it or not, I have no idea what Brian ordered. I know he got a po boy but I don't know which one!  We were pleased to see the place staying busy while we were there. I've seen more and more good reviews of the restaurant. For sure we like it. Oh. And he had banana pudding.  So yes. We got some to go. And yes. It was good also. 

I don't know if I mentioned that just before we left for Georgia, I hosted a meeting for an organization I belong to. I took a page from the cooking shows for my entertainment strategy. I made a fruit bowl. Lots of fruit, but then I ordered mini sandwiches and a Cajun salad from Zydecos. Best idea ever. All I had to do was pick up the order a few hours before the meeting.  And the members liked the sandwiches!  And chef Brandon gave me extra sandwiches.  Lol. I really didn't need extra, but thanks! Lol. 

My cousin is in town this week for the Omega Psi Phi conclave. Dad wants to take him out to lunch today. I see the rest of the week being very lean meals. I'm going to try a gazpacho with grilled shrimp later this week. I need to offset the eating frenzy of the past week.  

On the dialysis front .. Nothing special. Treatment early yesterday. We thought we were going to take cousin out to dinner tonight, but it will be for lunch.  But early treatment was fine. And we'll be ready for tonight. I was trying to get it out of the way because cousin will be spending the night and I didn't want to be in the back doing treatment while he was here...but that's life.  And. A few medical appointments this week. Let's hope some mysteries will be solved. 

That's it for today. So much smoke in the sky from the fires in LA that the sunrise was muted. I usually need to close the blinds when the sun comes up because it's so bright. Not so this morning. And The distance is almost 300 miles!!  "Now that's a fire". Stay cool wherever you are!  

Brian comtemplating his move to Las Vegas. Or Pimp Reflctions. (Complements of The Roots - lol) 

Boudin balls. 

Wall of hot sauce at Zydecos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment