Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The "The Next Day", edition.

Good Tuesday morning!  iPad shuffled to Michael Jackson, " Butterflies". Aha taking you back to my old format. There's a reason for that. I am in center doing treatment. But there's a big but (teehee - big but). My nephrologist and vascular surgeon insist I change my method of needle insertion. I currently use buttonholes to insert my needles....buttonholes are like pierced earring holes. The prevailing thought now is that buttonholes are subject to more infections. So I am now at the center to learn how to stick myself with "sharp" needles...like IV needles. My nurse called yesterday and pretty much insisted I come in today to start training.  So here we are. And yes I stuck my self with sharp needles this morning. There is a technique and I'll be here a few days. So that being said, I packed my dialysis bag. 

Whodini, "Five Minutes of Funk". So what's in my dialysis bag?  Well remember we get cold doing treatment. Blood is pulled out of the body, cleaned and then returned to the body but it's the returning of the blood that's cold. And it's cold from the inside. Brrrrrr.  I have a hat, socks and a blanket. Yes, the temp of the returning blood can be adjusted, but the staff prefers it to be on the cool side. If it's warm then the blood pressure rises. Consider that your fun fact for the day. Yikes. Chair dancing!  And my iPad and headphones are packed.  Yeah. I have the TV on, but I'm preferring the music today. It's a treat!  

So. Yeah. I'm in a better mood today. Roy Ayers, "You Send Me". <3.  Violins!  I get lost in this song.  I digress. So much love and thanks for my very supportive family and friends. Oh yeah. My nurse told me that nocturnal home hemo is available.  I get to be the Guinea pig!  Lol. It's good. It's even a better method of dialysis. Nocturnal treatment is done at night while I'm asleep. And it's every other day.  And even more flexible. And!  It's the next best thing to a transplant....in terms of clearance of fluid and toxins.  (I wonder if my care team from Detroit saw this in my future). So I'm there. I did ask about it a few months ago. I'm glad my clinic listened and is now offering it. Now if I can get them to start using the iPad  to take and transmit vitals. Bluetooth and all that. One step at a time!!!!  I bitch and moan and cry and complain and wail and gnash my teeth and here I am trying out new and better treatment options. Heh. If my glass gets empty I seem to get it back to half full. 

Ok.  The downside of the training this week is we'll miss our deep water fitness class and our workout with the trainer. The good news is they understand.  But yeah. Today is better. I was really despondent about the missing treatment thing last week and weekend. But it is always something. I have a pity party then have to remember that it could be worse. All things considered, I'm not doing too bad. But it's scary. So scary. You know if it were just dying was it that would be fine. Justin Timberlake, "Rock Your Body".  Buts it's the associated complications. That's scary. I guess I just have to do what I do. 

And finally...Brian is a trooper.  He's there. He's so there for me. Run DMC, "Walk This Way".  I can't even describe my love for him. I'm thinking he might love me a little!  Lol. That's it for today. I'm smiling. And enjoying the music. Have a wonderful day. I'll leave you with this song. Santana and Rob Thomas, "Smooth".       :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment