Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, April 19, 2013

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis, the " Just Once, Can We Do This Without Complications? Please?" edition.

Really. Just one time. That would please me so much. iPod shuffled to "Ain't That a Bitch", Johnny Guitar Watson. Matches my mood. Lol. First time I heard Johnny was on WGPR. I was hooked. ;-) Ok. What happened?

Yesterday I was scheduled for some tests for the transplant. BTW, I got official notice from the transplant office that I was a good candidate for transplant, I just need to get some tests. Yesterday was a stress test and echo- cardiogram. The transplant office said I could get the tests done at a closer hospital, so that's what I did. We got there for registration and that went fine. The orders and information were in the system. We got the papers and label and went to the cardiology floor. This is where things fell apart.

My appointment was for 9AM. Not only was no one in the office, the sign in sheet was from the previous day. We waited about 10 minutes. I found someone in nearby office who was less than helpful. People would see us, but would not acknowledge us. ;-< Finally , 1/2 hour later Brian found someone ( better him than me at this point, I had steam coming out of my ears). They looked at the paperwork and say, oh we have no record of you coming today. "Daydreamin'", Aretha Franklin. Great arrangement. Check out the guitar.

So anyway, they deign to add me to their schedule, albeit reluctantly. They walk me up to another floor and I get prepped for the test. I get something via IV to make my heart glow ( in the dark? ) lol. I have to wait a 1/2 hour for it be ready. The tech gets me after a 1/2 hour. Takes the baseline heart rate pictures and sends me to the next part. A drug is to get injected into me to increase my heart rate. And here I thought I'd be on a treadmill. Anyway, before they start they realize I am a dialysis patient. WTF??. The RN announces I need a blood test. Really?? In the middle of all this and NOW you are realizing this is needed?

The nurse suggests having my most recent tests from the dialysis center faxed over. Bless my dialysis center, they did just that in quite a timely matter. Unfortunately the tests weren't recent enough for the hospital. The blood work was going to have to happen. I stopped the procedure.
I'd been there 3 hours.

When I got home I call the transplant coordinator and told her what happened. She was quite apologetic. She called me back after investigating what happened.. The test was I supposed to have isn't done by the hospital, so they were going to give me another one. :-( Yeah well ...I am rescheduled for the correct tests at the original hospital next week. I'm counting on this time gong flawlessly.....please?

Signing off with Rahsaan Patterson. "Feels Good". "Like making love on Egyptian cotton". How's that for a lyric? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment