Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, April 1, 2013

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis, the "I Have 1 Team Left in My Bracket and it Ain't UM", edition. iPod shuffled to "Spotlight", Jennifer Hudson. I heard Ne-yo say, as a producer, Jennifer's voice is too big to put into box. I agree, she has a great big voice. Love it.

I was all excited because we are working on my new access point, the fistula, in my left arm. When this is working completely, the catheter in my collarbone can be removed. I've been on this fistula journey since December. "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time", The Delphonics. Philly. The initial fistula surgery was a few days before my birthday. Nothing special. In and out of the hospital same day. Go see the doctor a week later. He checks the fistula on his ultra sound machine. You also feel it. Feels like a hive of bees inside your forearm. Well apparently my fistula stopped working. It clotted up. "What does that mean?". It means I have to have surrey again tomorrow. ;-( Doc gives me megadose of a blood thinner and I'm off to out patient surgery again.

2nd times the charm. Now the fistula has to mature. But wait, what exactly is this fistula you speak of?

A fistula is created by surgegy, connecting an artery and a vein. It is also called arteriovenous fistula or an AV fistula for short. Dialysis Fistulas are constructed to join a vein to an artery. The procedure can make the vein become “stronger and larger”, which can make repeated needle insertions for dialysis treatment much easier. Normally, patients will receive needle sticks three times per week.

I get thru January just fine in early February, the doctor discovers the vein access is too deep. That's how I ended in the hospital again. That's when I got the nerve block in the arm, which took about 14 hours for me to feel my arm again. ;-[ . "Grapevine", Brownstone. I know it's a repeat song, but (1) I have no control over shuffle. Even if I have over 400 songs. Go figure. (2) I really, really like this song. :)

Before my arm returned to me, I developed a hematoma in the surgical site. What's a hematoma you say? A hematoma or haematoma, is a localized collection of blood outside the blood vessels, usually in liquid form within the tissue. About 11pm the nurse comes to take vitals and I'm swimming in a pool of blood. I was quite unaware because, well, I couldn't feel anything, duh. She announces a code something or another and about a dozen people rush into the room. Honestly, I'm more concerned that I can't feel my arm. Lol. One of the people who comes is my very own doctor. I chuckle and ask had he been at the hospital all day. It was after 11pm and my surgery was 10am. He said yeah, he had surgeries scheduled all day. He had just finished for the day and just came running on the code whatever. He got a nurse and resident to help patch me up. About 2-3 hours later my arm returned. (Gah this longer than I thought...sorry)

The surgery fixed the vein, but now I have an oozing hematoma I get to take to Las Vegas..yay? This also delays using the fistula because I have to wait for hemotoma to go away. Sigh. It's always something, isn't it. What are you gonna do, but just deal with it? "Open Sesame (Part 2)", Kool and the Gang. I'm not familiar with Part 1? Lol. "Get on your camel and ride". "Allakhazam".

So here we are today. The fistula is stronger. The hemotoma is 99% gone. On Friday I got my 1st stick. All was well. Today? The fistula didn't want to cooperate. Oh well, lets try again Wednesday. I really want this catheter gone before Shawn's graduation in May. Forget that, I just want this catheter gone. Period.

Signing off with "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", Tears for Fears. An angsty song sounds about right, right now. :- )

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of my mom and her dialysis. Looking forward to the next blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete