Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, April 12, 2013

The "I Saw an Ark Float By a a few Minutes Ago and It's Still Raining", edition.

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis, the "I Saw an Ark Float By a Few Minutes Ago and It's Still Raining", edition. iPod shuffled to "I'm So Proud", The Main Ingredient (before Cuba Gooding). The song is a remake of another R&B group of the era. Any guesses?

So I'm at my first day at dialysis and my tech is "Madison". I'm in the private room, thinking I'm there in isolation to protect everyone else from whatever microbes I'm bringing in. Paranoia much? Lol. Madison hooks me up to the machine. Remember my access is attached near my collarbone. After I'm hooked up, she cleans the access site. An entire kit is dedicated to the collarbone access site. Oh yeah..during the access prep, we both are wearing face masks. The chance of infection is crazy high. I also watch the techs go through an insane amount of (I'm sure they are not latex) gloves. Antibacterial foam containers are everywhere and are used constantly and each module (ha I need to explain that) has a sink which is used a lot.

Naturally after I'm hooked up I have to go to the bathroom. :-/ I get unhooked .........I return and get rehooked up. I apologize profusely for causing problems. Madison assures its ok. I feel,like a trouble maker. "Too Close", Next. I like this song. ,the voices, the beat, makes you want to dance, BUT, my kid says its a nasty song. It is suggestive. Lol. Probably inappropriate lyrics for the kids when it came out. The catch is, the kids catching onto the lyrics and intent before the adults..Sigh..

I settle into three hours of dialysis. The tech sets the TV for me. The social worker comes in and gives me some materials, the the dietician comes in and gives me a list of foods I can eat. I don't see my favorite foods on the the list. Wtf..lol. Biggest surprise on the list of what I can have? Rice Krispie Treats. Woot!!!!!! Biggest loss were the potassium rich foods. ( Since working with the dietician foods,life is really just fine yay!). I get cold, a green duffle bag with the name of the dialysis center on it with a fleece blanket inside magically appears!! Madison hits a button on my chair and the seat and back heat up!! I snuggle in the warmth.

The nurse comes in and gives me a few shots, one was a start of a series of hepatitis vaccines. They ask if I've had flu and pneumonia vaccines. I receive a shot for a blood thinner and a shot for vitamin D. Wow. The good news is that the injections are done thru the access tubing. Except for the hepatitis vaccine. Ouch. "It's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate", The Persuaders. Words to live by. Heh heh heh. "It's 5 o clock in the morning and I don't give it a 2nd thought". "The sweetest woman in the world can be the meanest woman in the world if you make her that way". I digress.

Three hours later, 6:30PM, I finally finish. I am beat. The tech unhooks me. Me and my walker hobble to the scale to get weighed again. I go out the door and the most beautiful face in the world is waiting for me. Yes, of course, it was Brian <3 

iPod tried to sign me off with "Rubber Band Man", The Spinners, but The Spinners and Philipe
Wynn are not on my list of favorites, so I reject it. I like the earlier Spinners. There we go "Come and Talk to Me", Jodeci. My nieces and I would debate who was better, Jodeci or Boys to Men. I preferred the rawer sound of Jodeci. Too bad they did the self destruct thing.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things about your blog is the way you relate music throughout your experiences. I love music and I have always associated music to memories of different periods throughout my life. I can hear a particular song and tell you exactly when in came out and what happened during that time. Keep up the good work. Stay strong! :-)

    ReplyDelete