Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, August 30, 2013

The "Two Dozen Ears of Corn Frozen for Future Tastiness!!"

iPod shuffled to Vanessa Williams, "Dreamin'". I've always been a fan. Just sayin'.  Babyface and LA Reid had the opportunity to produce her.  The choose Pebbles instead. I'd say that worked out well for Vanessa. ;-)  

Yesterday was a cut and cook-a-palooza.  Brian shucked and sliced the kernels off the corn. Then we tried making a greek pasta salad. Cucumber, tomato, red pepper, red onion, rotini, Kalamata olives, feta cheese. Dressing was red wine vinegar, olive oil, chopped garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.  Chill and serve. Yes and yum. Brian is a great sous chef. His cutting and slicing skills are great. That's what happens when you watch cooking shows. Lol. We are alo considering taking a knife skills class at Holiday Market in Royal Oak. 

I belong to a dialysis group on Facebook. It's quite eye opening. Members include dialysis patients, caregivers, post-transplant members, and assorted medical people, including techs and RNs.  Aretha Franklin, "Runnin' Out of Fool". I read somewhere about Aretha singing about fools early on.  It was true!!  Do you know other of her "fool" songs?  Some of the stories and experiences of the group are heartbreaking. Like the guy in another country who has dialysis on an infrequent basis.  He'd missed treatment for 2 weeks. :-(  He detailed his symptoms. He was dying.  Another member is having crazy complications from peritoneal dialysis.  The number of 20 something's is staggering.  :-(  People whose bodies are degenerating from ESRD.  Lots of scared people.  There is also the parents of a baby, a BABY, who needs dialysis. :-(   

The group is not all doom and gloom. People share information.  People share good experiences. They encourage people to advocate for themselves. We support each other. Compare treatments, ask about meds, ask about anything.  Some give cautionary information about diet or meds,what to expect  on medical tests or even on the transplant procedure. It's been educational to me and scary at times. However, it's also underscored to, how I want to live my life. I am dying (my family hates to hear that).  I am, no doubt , better than I was a year ago.  But I have a fake kidney that is nowhere as efficient as the two I was born with. If I don't keep a balance of certain minerals, organs will fail. Too much potassium affects the heart. Too much phosphorus affects  bones and the heart.  I take pills to keep everything in check. 

Ok, ok. I'm not trying to die in the near future. :-).  I'm moving to Vegas to be with Dad. He's getting pushy about it. Lol. I need to see Shawn get her PhD. There are places I want to go. I want a kidney transplant. Lol. I want to have lunch with Carmen. I want some of Belinda's German chocolate cake.  I want to see Tony play his bass.  I want to hang out with Shirley, Gary and Deanna. I want to go to more Perry family reunions. Lol. I want to go to Yellow Springs. I want hit the 50th anniversary with Brian. <3. 

Have a great holiday weekend. Yes, I have treatment on Monday. It's all good. :). Signing off with Lakeside, "Fantastic Voyage".  "..come and ride on the funk, y'all... ". :-D

2 comments:

  1. Bruce's rule. No one he knows is permitted to die before he does :)

    I am glad you still have, in the midst of your suffering, dreams, hopes, and ambitions. They are what keep us sickies alive...that and drugs and modern science. :)

    Have a great weekend, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a great time so far! I think we are too feisty to start kicking buckets yet. ;-)

      Delete