Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The "Uh Oh. I Have an Infection", edition.

iPad shuffled to "The Jam", Larry Graham and Graham Central Station. Starring Larry Graham's bass. Funk. Oh man. I have an infection around my access.  It itches.  And I can't do squat about it. I have needles there, and it's covered with tape...which hold the needles in place.  Itchy. Itchy. Itchy. :-(   As of today we've had to change the antiseptic swab used before the stick.  And change the tape. I'm gonna have to suffer through 3 more hours of itchy.  Good thing the doc comes today.  "My name is Larry Graham and they call me...".   The charge nurse gave me some ointment to use at home.  Itchy. We'll see what doc says when he gets here.  That's still about 1.5 hours from now.  He gets here sometimes as early as 8:30 AM.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 is World Kidney Day.  Get a blood test to determine the health of your kidneys. Make sure you know the signs and symptoms of kidney disease. Make sure you know the risk factors of kidney disease. Sign up for organ donation. Eat foods that are kidney friendly. Drink water.  Make sure you know the function of kidneys.  "What's My Name", Snoop Dogg". Heavy on the bass..funk. Itchy.  Lol. My head started boppin'. 

I've discussed some of our meals. Foods I can have and those I shouldn't. I've found I can have most in moderation. The high phosphorus foods are the ones I miss the most.  Except beans.  Beans make my phosphourus go up and stay up.  No beans for me.  I can still have other foods in moderation and IF I take additional phosphourus binders. Those big mega pills. I normally take 3 with snacks and 4 with meals. If I have a little chocolate or cheese or nuts I'll take more. Look, I take 10-12 of them per day.  When I refill the prescription, I get 2 bottles of over 1000 pills every month. Every time I eat, I have to take my binders.  My kidneys can't process phosphorus. I carry a pill case full in my purse.  Too much phosphourus causes brittle bones and heart issues. And itching. Ugh. Itchy. Lol. 

Vanessa Williams, "Dreaming'". Isn't her voice nice?  Isn't she still gorgeous?  No hatin' from me. :)  So back to our meals. First of all table salt has been eliminated. And it's mostly been limited from cooking. I never thought that would happen.  Had some Triscuits. OMG, so salty. Same with Pringles. The itching is subsiding.  But then my head got cold.  Don't ever think sitting in dialysis is a relaxing thing. If you say that to me I'll growl at you.  Back to meals. I made a sausage and chicken jambalaya this week. No salt added. We figured there was enough in the tomatoes and the smoked turkey sausage.  Even when we cooked the chicken thighs, they were just seasoned with paprika. Teena Marie, "Ooh Wee". That's a voice that is incomparable. Love love it.  The jambalaya was delicious. Yum.  With no added salt.  Itchy. 

Brian want me to fix the seafood chowder again.  I've eliminated the bacon. I can make shrimp stock, I cut out the potatoes. I do use the cream, but a serving of chowder does not use a serving of cream.  However, I will still add 1 additional binder.  And I need to be mindful of the fluid intake.  Oh yeah, I put in shrimp, clams and crab. Yum.   We also have a recipe for baked breaded buffalo wings. Tasty!  We serve it with carrots and celery rather than fries. And yes, I take those binders every time.  Not as itchy, but still itchy. 

Do you have any recipes or meals that can fit the parameters of a dialysis diet?  Low sodium, low potassium, low phosphorus, high protein, no whole grains ( yes whole grains are bad ). Remember I said "low", not "no". Lol. 

Signing out now, thinking about breakfast. I like my eggs over medium!  Seal, "Kiss From a Rose".  So pretty. 30 degrees soon?  It'll feel balmy. Lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment