Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, March 3, 2014

The, "Final Installment of the Champaign Visit", edition.

iPad shuffled to War, "All Day Music". How soothing is that?  Lol. Makes me want to close my eyes and imagine laying in the grass with the sun just beaming down on me. :)  I have more photos of our little trip to Champaign.  Mostly of the grandcat and of the train ride. It amazes me when I get off the train and realize just how massive the train is. Climbing in and out of train is a challenge.  Heh, one of those things that can still stump me. My problem is trying to hoist up myself and my bags. The conductor takes  the suitcase. A conductor was at the top of the stairs. He grabbed my arm and hoisted me up.  Lol. Yes, I thanked him.  Conductors rock!

Another train was even more of a challenge because there was salt, a lot of salt in the stairway.  I have to  use my upper body strength to hoist myself up the strairs. I saw a lady using a walker. I don't know how she was able to board the train. I'm sure the trains are accessible.  I just don't know how. I didn't identify as handicapped.  I didn't see the option when making reservations, and I'm much more mobile anyway.  When I'd get in Chicago,  off the conductor at the bottom would also help me. He also called for a redcap ( the guy driving a little passenger cart ) to take us right into the station.  

I didn't request an accessible room at the hotel for the first time in years!!!!   The primary reason I'd needed an accessible room was for the toilet. I needed the extra height and bars to pull myself up.  I distinctly remember the first time I realized I needed "toilet assistance". That moment when you go "WTF?".  We were on the way to pick up Shawn from Howard.  We stopped at a hotel in Breezewood, PA.  I went to the bathroom. I couldn't get up. To make matters even worse, the sink was far enough away from the toilet that I didn't have anything to use for leverage.  :(  "Sideshow", Blue Magic. Heh, Brian trying to help me up probably was a sideshow. Lollololololol.  That was spring 2010. Possibly the early stages of kidney failure. Who knew?  So anyway, I can make do without an accessible room now!!!  Yah!!!  Low seats, couches and chairs are still a challenge, but they are doable. I don't need help. :)

Ugh. It's cold in here. I have my blanket and heated seat.  Gonna put on my hat soon. Try putting on a skullcap with one hand. I think I've mastered it. Lol. Just one of the skills you master when you're on dialysis. ;-)  I had 1 dialysis treatment while in Champaign. The communications tickle me. I'm at dialysis in Detroit and get a call from the Champaign clinic letting me know the have a 2:30 PM chair time for me on Monday. I'm fine with that. Just as long as I have a time. As soon as I hang up,  my social worker relays the same information. Lol.  Saturday, at the layover in Chicago,  Brian gets a call from the clinic saying a 10:30AM time has opened up. Cool!!  I have no idea why he got the call. Lol. 

Rachelle Ferrell, " With Open Arms". She is the only one who can get away with vocal gymnastics. She makes it sound good. She has the range to pull it off.  I get to the dialysis clinic in Champaign. Its  a small center. 12 stations. The techs and nurses remember me and remember I'm from Detroit. I'm glad I leave such a good(?) impression. While there I meet the nephrologist. That was a first for any of my travels. We talked...I wonder if I get charged for that?  When it's Time to get off the machine,  I'm feeling weak. I weeble wobble out of there, convincing the staff I'm good.  Geez I was tired.  We left there.  I was hungry. We got Popeyes chicken. (My baby said she wanted some).  Apparently Popeyes had just opened in Champaign.

After we ate it was time to cook some meals for my child!  However, The best I could do was lay on the couch and give instructions to Brian.  He made the greek pasta salad.  He also did the mise en place for the red beans. ( Mise en place.  I watch too many cooking shows. You can look it up-lol).  I cooked the beans. Shawn could make her own rice.  Lol.  After cooking, I was ready to back to the hotel. I was sooooo tired. Tired like I'm not sure I'd ever experienced that level of tired. We got back to the hotel and I crashed. I slept for 10 hours.  Understand that since my kidney failure, I'm lucky to sleep longer than 4 hours a night. It was a good sleep. 

The train stations in Chicago and Champaign make the Dearborn and Detroit stations look pathetic. Both Illinois stations are transit centers, so it's not just Amtak. Dearborn is building a new station. We will do Amtrak again. I liked it. 

Signing off with The Tavares, "Check It Out". Photos of train ride.  Beat down of the groundhog 2 weeks from now if were still in a Polar Vortex. :-/





No comments:

Post a Comment